Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2014 18:00

Enabling SNMP for entire environment so Dell Openmanage Essentials can inventory/manage devices

Hi All

I've recently installed Dell Essentials (2.0.0) onto my Windows Server 2008 R2 utility machine.

I've configured the tool to search our subnets and it has come back with a few hundred machines. (which is what was expected)

Each machine doesn't show much, but this is where you install/enable SNMP and enable/turn on 4 other services for the devices to show their inventory etc. So when i have manually done this for a few machines it works fine and shows the device and their inventory.

My environment is mostly 

• 2008R2
  • But also a mix of 2000, 2003, 2008 and 2012/2012R2

So is there a way i can install/enable SNMP across the board and turn on these services. I obviously need to configure SNMP aswell, which i presume is via GPO.

I've seen some people are writing PowerShell scripts, but wondered if Dell had a preferred method

I'm guessing this must be a common issue for most administrators installing this for their environments? Apologies in advance if i have missed something after searching the forums.

Cheers

2.8K Posts

December 22nd, 2014 20:00

Hi and thanks for trying OpenManage Essentials.  We also have a 2.0.1 release that just posted a few weeks ago.

Like you say, some folks will use a group policy.  We have a tool on delltechcenter.com/ome that might help with remote configuration of SNMP (look for Dell SNMP Configuration Tool.

Also I think you may be able to do this via a RACADM command or OMRemote/OMConfig command.  OME provides the ability to run these types of commands against targets.  So maybe one of these options will be helpful.

Good luck,

Rob

4 Posts

Thanks - i'll check out Dell SNMP Configuration Tool.

Do you have more info/urls on the other suggestion?

54 Posts

Yeah use a GPO to configure SNMP settings.  To actually install the SNMP service, I used a PowerShell script combined with PS Remoting.  With that I could install SNMP on a large list of servers pretty easily.  But it's only easy to accomplish on 2008 and higher.  Installing SNMP on 2000 or 2003 requires access to the i386 source files.

Here are the basic commands you can run from within your PowerShell script.

2012 R2 (I have not tested on regular 2012):

Import-Module ServerManager
Add-WindowsFeature SNMP-Service

2008 R2 (note slight difference in spelling of feature compared to 2012 R2):

Import-Module ServerManager
Add-WindowsFeature SNMP-Services

2008:

ServerManagerCmd.exe -install "SNMP-Services"

I hope this helps you somewhat.

4 Posts

December 23rd, 2014 17:00

Thanks

Now the next step is to learn PS Remoting...

54 Posts

December 23rd, 2014 20:00

PS Remoting is really awesome but you have to enable it on your servers (GPOs are a good way to accomplish that).  If you ever get to that point and want to see the actual PS Remoting script I've been using, feel free to email me at rod dot savard at tetratech dot com.

4 Posts

December 28th, 2014 20:00

Hi Guys

Thanks for your pointers, but without some clear instructions/urls I'm not really any further forward. I just have more kind of vague directions to go in..

I know google is my friend - but i cant say i know what i'm doing really...

Also - surely everyone who uses Essentials HAS to go down this road?! Why isnt there more tools to help with this?? 

Right now it seems more hassle that its worth if i'm totally honest

Cheers

No Events found!