Highlighted
wjseaman
Phosphor

How to get WS-MAN to inventory iDRAC6 and iDRAC7

I am unable to use WS-Man for inventory and discovery of iDRAC cards.  What are the steps to use WS-MAN.  For instance -user name an password for WS-Man.  Also, is there any setting I have to change/modify on the iDRACs themselves?

Thansk,

Jack

0 Kudos
15 Replies
wjseaman
Phosphor

Re: How to get WS-MAN to inventory iDRAC6 and iDRAC7

I am able to use the toubleshooting tool to connect using WS-Man for several iDRACs.  However, when I run the inventory and discovery in OME, it does not find the Dracs.

Thanks,

Jack

0 Kudos
DELL-Raj S
Silver

By default Troubleshooting tool connects to iDRAC using secure mode (https) for WSMAN protocol. However secure mode needs to be enabled in OME discovery wizard (WS-Man Configuration).

Have you enabled "Secure mode" in OME discovery wizard ? Make sure to select "Skip common name check". If you have the SSL certificate select it using Browse button or check "Trusted Site".

Re-run discovery+inventory and let us know if you are able to discover iDRACs.

Thanks,

Raj Shresta

0 Kudos
wjseaman
Phosphor

That worked this morning.  Thanks alot!

Jack

0 Kudos

RE: How to get WS-MAN to inventory iDRAC6 and iDRAC7

I've tested this and while the DRAC logs show successful login via WS-MAN and SSH, Openmanage Essentials still shows this as an unknown device. I've selected Secure Mode and Skip Common name check, and trusted site. No luck. Thoughts?

0 Kudos

Hi there Joseph,

Just to confirm.  You have _only_ WSMan selected as the protocol in your discovery range?

Thx

Rob

DELL-Rob C
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos

Hmm.. Not sure why it would be required to select ONLY WSMan, but you sir are correct, that worked! Any explanation as to why?

0 Kudos

Ok, yeah, good deal.

What version of OME are you using.  There have been intermittent problems where an "invalid" protocol, in this case SSH (since SSH is not used to communicate with the iDRAC) can cause classification problems when the discovery task runs.   Guess the SSH can clobber the classification that WSMan is supposed to be doing.  Technically, you should be able to mix protocols and OME should tolerate it, but if you ever run into trouble, it's a good step to try.

Regards,

Rob

DELL-Rob C
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos

Awesome. Thanks for the good advice there and definitely send that up as a bug if you can. Thanks!

0 Kudos
vFreak07
Copper

I have similar kind of issue but its little weird.

Server model R815, Discovery run using WS-MAN only but does not recognize. The troubleshooting tool does recognize the host but the OME always appears as unknown.

0 Kudos