Highlighted

Install Windows Server 2012 R2 Update (KB2919355) before installing or upgrading to OpenManage Essentials 2.3

Hi OME Users,

For new installation or upgrade to OpenManage Essentials version 2.3 on systems with Windows Server 2012 R2 operating system, Windows Server 2012 R2 Update (KB2919355) is a critical prerequisite which has to be installed manually.

Before installing OME 2.3 and the following critical prerequisites, ensure that the Windows Server 2012 R2 Update (KB2919355) is installed:

• Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Runtime 14.0
  • Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.6.2
  • Microsoft Silverlight version 5.1.50901

Note that Windows Serer 2012 R2 Update (KB2919355) is a cumulative set of security updates, critical updates, and other essential updates (six Microsoft KBs).

To download and install Windows Server 2012 R2 Update (KB2919355), visit www.microsoft.com.

During the Install All Critical Prerequisites stage of installation, the missing prerequisites will not be installed until the KB2919355 update is installed and available on the operating system. The following message is displayed: You must install KB2919355 before installing all other critical prerequisites.

For more information about the prerequisites and best practices for installation or upgradation of OME 2.3, refer to the whitepaper – Installing Dell EMC OpenManage Essentials (OME) (v2.3) located at OpenManage Essential TechCenter page.

Thanks,
Vijay.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BradBaum
Copper

RE: Install Windows Server 2012 R2 Update (KB2919355) before installing or upgrading to OpenManage Essentials 2.3

Hi Vijay,

I have a problem that I do not know how to fix.

I have been running OME (2.2 updated to 2.3), very successfully, for over a year on my Windows 7 machine and yesterday I did the Windows 10 Upgrade. As a result my OME installation now does not work. The error message I get is something about my SQL server not being contactable now. Not sure what that is about as nothing changed apart from my OS. Need some help here, please?

Thank you,

Brad Baum

CDOC

0 Kudos

RE: Install Windows Server 2012 R2 Update (KB2919355) before installing or upgrading to OpenManage Essentials 2.3

Hi Brad,

OME is not supported/tested with client operating systems like Windows 7, 8, 10. Having said that, the installer also does not explicitly block the installation on those systems but those are never tested/certified.

I will suggest to refer the OME support matrix for the list of supported operating systems for the installation and install OME there.

Thanks,
Vijay

0 Kudos

Hi Brad,

Additionally the in place upgrade of the operating system with OME installed is not recommended.

The following are the steps mentioned in the OME User Guide document in FAQ->Upgrade section (excerpt below):

Question: Can I upgrade the server operating system with OpenManage Essentials installed?

Answer: It is not recommended to upgrade the server operating system with OpenManage Essentials installed. If you continue with the upgrade, then OpenManage Essentials will not work as expected. To upgrade the operating system, perform the following steps:
  1. Create a backup of the OpenManage Essentials database.
  2. Uninstall OpenManage Essentials. For more information, see Uninstalling OpenManage Essentials
  3. Upgrade the server operating system.
  4. Reinstall OpenManage Essentials and select the previously backed up database during the installation.
Thanks,
Vijay
0 Kudos
BradBaum
Copper

Hi Vijay,

Well, I love a challenge, and so saying, I went into my new WIndows 10 64-bit installation, completely removed the old OME program, removed all the SQL programs, did a clean-up, rebooted then downloaded the installation files for OME 2.30.0 and started again with a brand new install.

Once the install had finished, I added all my servers back in (they already have OMSA on them), filled in the required log in details and fired it up. Came back up fine, showing all my servers, did the discovery and inventory process.

All good with no problems.

Brad

0 Kudos