Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 27th, 2017 18:00

Interpreting Critical and Warning alerts

Hi,

We only use OME to monitor our Dell fleet via the DRAC login for each box. We do not allow interrogation via the O/S, although OMSA is installed on each server.

The alerts in OME2.3 are fine to a point, but lack the granularity we would like. As a typical example, OME alerts as per the pic below. But when looking at the DRAC logs, we often cannot find any problem.

Is it possible for OME to send more specific alerts?

Have I got OME configured incorrectly?

Thx,

John Bradshaw

September 27th, 2017 22:00

Hi John,

Thanks for the query.

This is OME's internal health alert that indicates a device's health status has changed. For information on actual errors, you need to configure the iDRAC to send SNMP alerts to OME. In some cases, device's health changes for which there are no SNMP alerts. In those cases, you can refer device hardware logs or launch iDRAC console to figure out the problem.

743 Posts

September 28th, 2017 00:00

Thx Shivendra....I',m not sure what you mean by "you need to configure the iDRAC to send SNMP alerts to OME".

Can u pls give an example of such a config on the DRAC side?

(I thought OME was supposed to poll the dracs and pull the alerts).

cheers,

JB

September 28th, 2017 02:00

Hi John,

Alerts are pushed by iDRAC to OME. You can find the setting on iDRAC GUI, look for alert or SNMP settings.

743 Posts

September 28th, 2017 13:00

Thx, but the alerts are always generic that we get (Critical or Warning) as attached in the original post. How can they be made to include specific details of what is actually wrong on the server e.g. Disk 3 predictive failure etc? Is there a paper that shows how this can be done?

Thx

October 3rd, 2017 05:00

You need to enabled SNMP alerts on the iDRAC. Following article will help:

en.community.dell.com/.../4351.snmp-configuration-of-integrated-dell-remote-access-controller-version-7

743 Posts

October 3rd, 2017 16:00

Sorry, I mis-understood.....the SNMP critical alerts are already selected, but still no detailed alerts come through to OME.

Can u pls show me the kind of detail that should be expected from an Alert in the OME console beyond what was originally posted in the 1st post?

Ta,

JB

743 Posts

October 3rd, 2017 18:00

Hi,

Just a thought.....Do I need to change the SNMP Community p/word in OME to match the servers?

Where is that done?

Thx,

JB

October 3rd, 2017 22:00

I believe you are discovering iDRAC using WSMAN. So, no need to set community name in OME discovery.

Please send a test trap from iDRAC and see if you receive it in OME. There could be a firewall setting that blocks 162 port on OME server.

743 Posts

October 4th, 2017 14:00

You got it! That was the problem!

Thx Shivendra

JB

October 6th, 2017 21:00

Good to know the problem got resolved!

No Events found!