Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 3rd, 2012 14:00

Inventory Integration with 3rd party products

Hi,

Great product but like many of us who probably have a large device count I do not want to discover all my physical and virtual devices in OME.  I already have a Network management system that maintains a list of devices discovered to have OpenManage. I would like to drive the OME database with this data.( What integration tools, hooks are available in OME?)

I realize that I could do a bulk weekly or daily import of devices but I would prefer to automate this as devices are discovered or removed from NMS by using one of the stored procedures provided in the OME schema or an API call. From my NMS I know IP, Netmask, Hostname, Category (Organization ownership), SNMP credentials etc..It's just a matter of plugging in to OME.

I have tested connectivity from the NMS to the OME database It's just a matter getting the data into OME and was hoping Dell had an integration solution.

Discovering 100's of vlan's every night with a mix of virtual and physical devices is not a good fit for our architecture.

Please forgive any grammatical errors. It's the end of the day and I had this post on my must do list today.

Scot

2.8K Posts

December 3rd, 2012 14:00

Hi Scot and thanks for the question.

mmmm....I'm not sure I have any good ideas on this one.  We do have a new CLI interface that provides a few limited capabilities.  There is a whitepaper on www.delltechcenter.com/ome on this (CLI).  It can do things like add discovery ranges, groups, etc.

But I think you are saying that you actually want to import the devices and not do a discovery of these.  Is that correct?  This probably won't work because in OME we require a certain set of data that we pick up in our discovery range so we can properly discover and classify the system.  Sometimes this gets complex if we are trying to correlate idrac to server, etc.  So we don't have a simple "device import".  Just a range import.

Hope this helps,

Rob

en.community.dell.com/.../20218169.aspx

23 Posts

December 3rd, 2012 17:00

I thought about this, we have the same situation in many NMS systems.

I think our best option is importing a "range" that is a single IP/Netmask.

This is what I successfully  did using the device csv import but like I said. I'd like to manage this

process device by device so our lifecycle automation tasks could hook into OME.

If you can import a single IP/Netmask via csv we should be able to easily automate this.

Would it be possible to simply add the device by calling Procedure

Discovery_AddDiscoveryConfiguration .

I know all the data required from the NMS.

2.8K Posts

December 3rd, 2012 18:00

Scot,

let me check on the procedure you mention.

But can you review the whitepaper I reference?  You can do this with the CLI I'm pretty sure (by single IP).

Rob

2.8K Posts

December 4th, 2012 07:00

Just double checked.  Direct use of the Stored Proc is discouraged.   But I think the CLI wp should give you a way to do this.

Thanks much,

Rob

23 Posts

December 4th, 2012 12:00

Does the Dell OME PS Module support PS 3.0 ?

To use the PS CLI I also need to communicate with the JSON Service on the NMS using Invoke-RestMethod

technet.microsoft.com/.../hh849971.aspx

2.8K Posts

December 4th, 2012 14:00

Thanks for the update.

Can you give me kind of a step by step scenario of what you consider a best-case feature?

That will help as I provide feature request details to the product team.

Regards,

Rob

23 Posts

December 4th, 2012 14:00

Appears to work with 3.0. Moving forward although running this from the Dell OME server is less than desirable. My best option appears to be to run a schedule task on the Dell OME server to pull all Servers from the NMS that have discovered OpenManage. Then apply logic to selectively add or remove devices from the OME Device pool.

23 Posts

December 6th, 2012 11:00

Rob,

I think the CLI is a great start to but would be a better service to customers as an API that could be

called remotely. Web service or whatever.Then begin to build features into it.

• update firmware
  • get compliance status
  • update bios etc..

2.8K Posts

December 6th, 2012 11:00

Thanks, this is helpful detail.  I'll send it over to the product team so they can review these requests.

Best regards,

Rob

No Events found!