Highlighted
bcshort
2 Iron

Is there any point discovering both iDRAC and Servers in OME?

Hi All,

I'm in the midst of doing an audit of our Dell 12G Hardware to ensure that it is being discovered in OME and alerting correctly.

One of the things I have noticed is that discovering the iDRAC and the Server (in this case windows OS) yields exactly the same information, to the point where the 2 devices under OME (RAC & Server) both have the same host name despite using different subdomains to differentiate between RAC and Servers.

Based on this, should I only be needing to discover the RAC or the Server, but not both?

Cheers

0 Kudos
2 Replies

RE: Is there any point discovering both iDRAC and Servers in OME?

Hi,

OME has a correlation logic which correlates devices on multiple factors, that is why you are seeing same name.

As far as information shown is considered, if you discover only iDRAC (via SNMP) many tables like software inventory,warranty info,processor info etc will be missing. On discovering Server (via SNMP) you will get lot more information though some of information like Device Location etc may be missing

On discovering iDRAC via WS-MAN more information is gathered as compared to iDRAC via SNMP. WS-MAN discovery is required for patch updates if OMSA is not present on server.

Hopefully this may clear some of doubts.

-Amit

0 Kudos

RE: Is there any point discovering both iDRAC and Servers in OME?

Hi,

Thanks for your post. You might not need to discover the server and RAC, both. But that completely depends on the server generation. With iDRAC7 and idrac8, you will be getting almost all the information that OMSA returns but with older generation of servers it is essential to have the OS with OMSA discovered. 

Since, the iDRAC and server are part of the same product, we essentially show it correlated as same device under RAC and Server in the device tree.

Thanks,
Pupul

0 Kudos