Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2012 07:00

Managed node configuration for OME inventory?

Hi All,

Just finished getting an OME system set up to test for our corporate network. I am looking at deploying this in our Datacenter to facilitate hardware inventorying, among other things.

I was reading the 'Understanding Discovery and Inventory of Dell devices' guide on the techcenter website, and I saw a reference to a 'Make your Environment Managabled with Dell Openmanage Essentials' document, however for the life of me I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Has anyone seen this guide posted by any Dell employees?

Thanks a bunch.

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

You don't need to configure trap destination in OMSA. If you configure it in Windows via GPO, OMSA will pull the setting and the managed nodes will start sending traps to OME.

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. Good catch on the document reference. We'll clean it up.

You can actually refer to the First Time Setup tutorial located in the Tutorials menu. That walks you through the steps needed to setup your managed nodes to be discovered and inventoried using SNMP. It also talks about setting the trap destination so that you can receive alerts in OME from managed devices.

Regards

Abhijit

12 Posts

Thanks for the quick response. Your mention of the SNMP trap brings me to another question:

When configuring trap destination/alerts for managed nodes, what is the difference between configuring the trap location in Windows (which is easily done via GPO if you need to do it for multiple systems) vs. configuring it in OMSA (which is quite a bit more labor intensive as you have to log on to each node to configure it)?

Does the OMSA setting pull whatever is configured in the Windows SNMP trap destination?

No Events found!