Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

CC

February 21st, 2012 00:00

New Deployment - OpenManage Essentials or OpenManage?

Hi, I need advice on which tools should deploy to my company environment, OpenManage Essentials or OpenManage.

My company have 200 plus dell server (1850, 1950, 2850, 2950 and Dell Blade) and some of it  with DRAC and some don't.

Any One can advice which tools i should go for?

Thank alot for the advice

2.8K Posts

February 21st, 2012 10:00

Hi and thanks very much for the post.

So www.delltechcenter.com is a great place for info on OpenManage.  OM is really an umbrella term that includes lots of software that can be used to manage your servers.  

For hardware monitoring and patching, you would consider OMSA (Server Administrator) on the managed node (the servers you are monitoring) and OME on your management station (the server that watches the others).

Info on OME is at delltechcenter.com/ome.  And OMSA info should be somewhere on delltechcenter.com.  Maybe other info at www.dell.com/openmanage.

Hope this helps gets you started.  Others may chime in.

Rob

3 Posts

February 21st, 2012 19:00

Thanks for the advice Rob :)

May I know is that a really big different the server being manage with or without DRAC install? Can done most of the server manage with OMSA install only?

Thanks

2.8K Posts

February 22nd, 2012 08:00

You should install OMSA on the servers you are trying to manage.  I will give you the best support in OME.

OMSA goes on your Managed Nodes (all the servers you are managing).

OME is your management station and will manage all of your nodes.

Good luck!

Rob

3 Posts

March 1st, 2012 00:00

Hi Rob,

May I know under OME, what is the different between those managed nodes using iDRAC and NIC?

I discover that is no different with or without iDRAC under OME, which I cant remote console after the managed nodes is under the BIOS using OME.  

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

March 1st, 2012 07:00

Hi,

For 11G servers and below, if you deploy OMSA and discover the server using OME, you don't have to discover iDrac separately. OMSA provides the inventory and health monitoring It also provides the information about iDrac access URL and you can launch the iDrac console by right clicking on the server directly.

For 12G servers, you can monitor server health and receive alerts from iDrac even if you don't deploy OMSA on those servers. We call it Agent free monitoring. For these servers, you can discover the server using WMI and discover the corresponding iDrac using SNMP. This will provide you with server health information. You can find more details in the tutorial "Discover and Monitor 12G servers without OMSA".

Regards

Abhijit

No Events found!