Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 9th, 2015 03:00

Newbie Help - OME Setup - Email Alerts Not Working

Hi,

I'm trying to setup OME in our Windows domain, but cannot work out why the email alerts are not working. These are the steps I have carried out so far:

• Installed OME v2.0.1.2222 on a Dell PowerEdge R210 II server running Windows Server 2012 R2
  • Installed OMSA v8.1.0 on a Dell PowerEdge R720xd server running Windows Server 2012 R2
  • On the OMSA server, made sure SNMP Traps are enabled for all alert types & under Alert Actions, enabled Alert on Console & Broadcast Message. Also Enabled Platform Event Filter Alerts
  • Enabled SNMP on both servers and set the Community to a unique name & followed the instructions on the 'Initial Setup' article on the OME itself (Do I need to enable 'Send Authentication Trap on the OMSA server?)
  • On the OME server setup the email alert settings & for testing purposes, configured it to email alerts for all devices & categories
  • Enabled Network Discovery on both servers and made sure Network Discovery & SNMP Service & Traps are set as allowed apps on the Windows Firewall
  • I have sent a test email message from the OMSA server and it arrives to the designated mailbox

I can see alerts when I go to Manage -> Alerts on the OME server for the OMSA server, but no emails get received from the system.

What am I missing?

November 10th, 2015 02:00

I'm having the same issue as you when I create an Alert action with the name: "All Alerts" with another name it works as it should.

This has probably something to do with the fact that there is an Alert Log view with the same name.

November 9th, 2015 07:00

The latest version for OME is the 2.1 version, although I don't think that will fix your issue it is a good idea to use the latest version. The software can be found at http://delltechcenter.com/OME.

The SNMP alerts you are configuring are not from OMSA but the iDRAC, OMSA is not capable of sending SNMP alerts by it self. The settings you are doing are changing the iDRAC through the OMSA GUI. If you what SNMP alerts that come from OMSA and the OS you need to configure the Windows SNMP trap services. This will send Windows and hardware traps, that being said the best way to start is to only send traps from the iDRAC to the OME server.

Alert Action are only processed once when the alert initially is received by the OME server.

Please check the following:

1. In the iDRAC check the alerts page and send a test trap to see if it arrives in OME if not please check all the firewalls.
  2. In OME make sure you have configured the SMTP server under the settings tab and check that you are allowed to use the mail server as a relay.

3. In the Alert action make sure everything is configured properly and send a test mail to check if it works.

9 Posts

November 9th, 2015 08:00

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm upgrading the OME as we speak, but currently we haven't setup iDRAC on our servers. Are you saying that this is a pre-requisite to get this working?

If not, how do I get email alerts working in our setup please?

Many thanks

1K Posts

November 9th, 2015 22:00

Hi,

It is not necessary to setup iDRAC to send alerts. If you are receiving alerts from OMSA to OME, it is good enough. What Martin is trying to tell is that you have make sure that email alert actions are set correctly in OME. You will need to provide the correct SMTP details and email id and then check by sending a test email if you are receiving that test email alert. Hope this helps.

November 10th, 2015 00:00

The SNMP settings you have configured in OMSA are not actually SNMP settings in OMSA :emotion-1:

It is can be a bit confusing in our software.

SNMP Settings

The SNMP settings in OMSA that you can change are actually the iDRAC settings, so if you don't have your iDRAC configured it will never be able to send a SNMP trap. Take a look at these 2 screenshots, I've changed the settings in OMSA and as you can see the iDRAC now has those values.

In my opionion the best way to start is to have the iDRAC send hardware alerts to the OME server but if the iDRAC's are not configred and that is not possible you will need to have Windows send those traps. That can be done by configuring the Windows SNMP service.

9 Posts

November 10th, 2015 01:00

Hi Pupul,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have checked the email settings on the OME and can confirm that when I clicked 'Test Action' an email was received in our administrator mailbox, but interestingly I noticed that the email alert itself had set itself to Disabled.  I know that I had enabled that - what do you think could have caused this?

I have re-enabled the alert, but we are still not receiving any emails - is there something else I need to do like restart a service or something?

Many thanks

Make sure you have configured the Alert Action with these options and of course have it enabled:

If you restart the SNMP service, normally you would get a coldstart trap from Windows.

9 Posts

Hi Martin,

Yes I did receive a coldstart trap like above when I restarted the SNMP service!

I don't know if you have seen my reply to Pupul above, but I have checked the email settings and successfully received a test email (plus re-enabled the 'disabled' alert), so how do I proceed now as we are still not receiving any emails from the OME even though I have setup the alert to alert on everything - I would have expected a few emails already.

Thanks

9 Posts

Hi Martin,

Thanks for pointing that out, as you say it is very confusing!

Interestingly, I have already setup the SNMP settings in Windows as per your last screenshot.  I set a new community name and added the IP address of the OME server under Trap Destinations. Then on the Security tab I have removed the tick from 'Send authentication trap', added the new community name as READ ONLY and selected 'Accept SNMP packets from any host'.  I have mirrored these settings on the OMSA server as well - is that correct?

So how do I know if the traps are being received by the OME server?

Many thanks

9 Posts

That's it! You're a star!

I have recreated the alert with a different name and it's now working - I've suddenly received about 25 emails!

That's brilliant, thanks ever so much for your help, I was obviously barking up the wrong tree before.  Now to readjust my alert settings so we are not bombarded...

Many thanks

You are welcome, good luck with the OME implementation.

9 Posts

Hi Martin,

Thanks for this, however I think I have at last found where the problem may lie.  I was really pleased to see an email in our mailbox after my last post from the OME regarding a Warranty Report - yes at last!!

However when I logged back in to the OME to check my settings, I noticed that my alert had disappeared again - so it wasn't my imagination after all!  Here are the screenshots:

I recreated the alert again, logged out of the OME and when I logged back in again, it wasn't there.

Is this a bug?  What's going on?

I think after all, my alerts would be working if only I can get them to stay...

Thanks

No Events found!