Highlighted
saupatel
6 Indium

Newbie OME install

Hello,

I'm trying to install Open Manage Essentials for the first time on a Win2008 Virtual machine. It will connect to a remote Database running SQL 2005 Standard. I've gone through the install screens and prereqs are all set, however at the page for Database servers, I type the Administrator Username/passwd and it won't connect.

Now, I'm trying to connect to a named instance, so I put in the Database Server as : SQLServer\InstanceName, and the Domain Admin username/passwd. But I get a "Cannot connect, login failed for user" message. I've tried creating an ODBC connection to the same server\instance and it works fine. Can someone please help me in this? Any help is appreciated!!

Thank you,

Sau

0 Kudos
20 Replies

Re: Newbie OME install

Hi Sau,

Are you using custom install option or standard installation? For remote DB, you should use custom install option. OME supports both SQL and windows authentication.

Take a look at this white paper. It will walk you through the process.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/19998614.aspx

Regards

Abhijit

0 Kudos
saupatel
6 Indium

Hi Abhijit,

Thanks for your prompt response. I did check the whitepaper and have selected the custom install option, and have tried both the authentication methods, and still have had no luck.

--Sau

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

What rights does the user have on the SQL server? it should have SA.

0 Kudos
saupatel
6 Indium

The user is Domain Admin, and it does have the SA

0 Kudos

Hi Sau,

If you are using domain account, please make sure the user name has the domain too:

domain_name\username

You can also try the SQL Server IP address as it is possible to be a name resolution problem.

IP address\<instance Name>

You can try downloading SQL Server Management Studio, install it on the VM, and verify the connectivity.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29062

Regards

Abhijit

0 Kudos
saupatel
6 Indium

Thanks Abhijit. Troubleshooting using the SSMS tool helped. I realized the TCP port is non-default, so I had to connect to -- SERVER\INSTANCEName,Port # and that worked!!

0 Kudos

You are welcome. Do let us know if you have any additional feedback.

Regards

Abhijit

0 Kudos
saupatel
6 Indium

Ok, sorry to reopen this. It did install, and I was able to discover devices, however all of them have the question symbol next to them. I was hoping to use OME the same way I use the OMSA on each machine, except that I could do that all from one machine via the OME. Is that not possible?

I notice there is a "Application Lauch" menu if I right-click, but it's grayed out. Now I do not have SNMP setup, is that needed for this? I was under the impression that all I would need is the OMSA installed on the different machines, so I could connect and configure disks, etc. on them.

0 Kudos

OME will allow you to discover the servers, show detailed hardware inventory, server health status and also allow you to apply updates.

It also receives SNMP traps provided the servers you are monitoring are sending the traps to OME. The tutorials are helpful in setting it up.

You can either use SNMP or WMI(for windows servers) to get the inventory which will also enable the app launch link to launch OMSA interface for those servers. For example, OME will show you if one of your servers is reporting critical health status and using Application Launch option in OME you can launch OMSA for that server to get additional information.

Regards

Abhijit

0 Kudos