Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

September 22nd, 2016 12:00

OME Discovered / Inventoried Servers Also Showing as Unknown

Riddle me this... Why would a server be successfully discovered and inventoried, but then also show up under Unknown after the daily scheduled inventory/discovery tasks?  After which, I see it listed under Servers by name and also under the Unknown section by IP address.  I then Perform Discovery and Inventory Now on the 3 troublesome servers and they disappear from Unknown.

I have my discovery ranges broken into groups and under each group I have single IP targets labelled by server name.  I am 100% confident there are no firewall blocks at play and the SNMP config is pushed via group policy.  Running it manually to success tells me everything is working as intended.

The troubleshooting tool passes fine for both SNMP and WMI.  Are there logs I can look at to figure out what is going on with these 3 servers?  50 others are working fine...

October 6th, 2016 11:00

Hi, thanks for the query.

Please help with following points to zone into the problem.

1. Are these servers having multiple IP addresses?

2. Are those IP addresses added in OME under different discovery ranges?

3. Is there a possibility that one of them is configured with wrong protocol selection or credentials?

October 7th, 2016 08:00

Made a little progress by deleting and re-adding them, now just 2 servers are having issues.  Now they are discovered nightly, but not classified.

The servers are multi-homed but I am only querying the internal IPs (10.10.3.36 and 10.10.3.37)  These NICs only have one IP address assigned per server.

These servers are in one Discovery Range - Group Name so they are inheriting the protocol (Server with OMSA - SNMP).  Under that group, I added each server individually to target the specific IP, not the entire subnet range.

These servers have Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise installed, if that matters.

So why would they be unclassified after the nightly discovery?  Again if I run it manually, they are "classified" just fine.

They also continue to be shown under Unknown, while also showing up in Servers and any other device groups I have them added to.

October 10th, 2016 03:00

Thanks for the information.

Are you saying that after nightly discovery, the server shows up under "Servers" as well as "Unknown" device group in OME device tree?

October 10th, 2016 07:00

That is correct

October 11th, 2016 08:00

This is strange behavior for those devices. I would request you to get in touch with Dell Support so that a closer look can be taken to help resolve your issue.

November 7th, 2016 06:00

This seems to have cleared up after upgrading to OMSA 8.4.0.  I removed and re-added these servers so many times, it could have been anything that fixed it.  Running OMCleanup.exe might have done the trick, but can't say for certain.

No Events found!