Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

2 Posts

December 14th, 2018 08:00

OME Discovery and Inventory: Some machines are Unclassified

Greetings gentlemen,

It's my first time to use OME, when I ran Discovery and Inventory using SNMP and WMI protocol. I noticed some dell machines got discovered as client and some are unclassified. Am I missing something?  I made sure the SNMP works fine through Troubleshooting tools. Thanks in advance.

• 

6.2K Posts

December 14th, 2018 11:00

Hello

OpenManage Essentials can acquire information using various methods. The information that it can acquire will differ by method. I would start by checking to make sure the community is the same on the systems that are not classifying correctly. You can also check OME documentation to see what type of agent is required to get information from the various systems supported by OME.

http://www.dell.com/openmanagemanuals/

Group membership should be rule based. If OME is able to get enough information from a system, like the make and model, then it should have a default grouping rule for it. If there is no rule for the information it receives then it will go into something like unclassified. If the systems in unclassified do have a make/model showing then you may just need to create a group to put them in.

Thanks

December 19th, 2018 08:00

Hi TaigaObi, Which version of OMSA have you installed on the servers you want manage? Be sure that the service "DSM SA Shared Services" on your servers is running. In earlier versions of OMSA this service would be set to "Automatic (Delayed Start)" during installation. But since OMSA 9.x this service is disabled by default. You must set it to "Automatic (Delayed Start)" and start it. Otherwise OME is not able to install the Hardware Inventory Agent and can't communicate with the servers it shell maintain. Greetings Barbara

2 Posts

January 11th, 2019 08:00

When I did the discovery and inventory I made sure they're in the same community. Let's say I put the ip range then I use SNMP and WMI protocol and ran it. Some laptops and desktops discovered as clients but most of them shows unclassified. For example I have 5 Latitude 6540 in the same subnet, why is it 2 of them are unclassified but the rest are alright? Do I need to change anything the client side?

January 13th, 2019 23:00

Please make sure that you have Dell Command | Monitor installed on business client devices for proper support in OME.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln311855/dell-command-monitor?lang=en

No Events found!