Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 19th, 2012 09:00

OME / OMSA and SNMPv3

hey,

wondering if OME finally supports snmpv3 traps/queries as ITA did only snmpv1/2c which is why we had to drop that product.

Also one more question on OMSA/snmp. It seems that DELL provides only x86 installation for both x86 and x64 platforms and does provides only 32bit extension agent for SNMP (for windows systems)... is there any plan to release 64bit version? or at least 64bit extension agents for SNMP? 

thanks in advance

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

April 19th, 2012 09:00

Hi,

Thanks for your post.

OME currently supports only SNMP v1 and v2. We will get the SNMP v3 support request across to marketing.

For OMSA specific questions, you will get better responses if you post it at the forum below:

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/f/4469.aspx

Regards

Abhijit

3 Posts

April 5th, 2013 11:00

I am in the same boat. I am using OME and OMSA on a test network and like it so far. We would like to deploy it into production and integrate it with DRAC as well.

...But without SNMPv3 support we will not be able to do this in our production environment.

2.8K Posts

Hi and thanks for weighing in on this topic.

Do you need SNMPv3 for just the h/w alerts that are sent from the managed node to the OME server?  Or also do you need OME to discover/inventory/communicate with the managed nodes over SNMPv3?  Or both?  

WSMan is another protocol that might be worthwhile depending on your situation.

But I will be sure to pass this thread along to our product folks so we can track your comments.

Regards

Rob

2.8K Posts

Yeah, somewhat true.

WSMan inventory of iDrac7 is now on par with SNMP+OMSA.  iDrac6 is as well, except you don't get storage subsystem inventory.

You can patch BIOS/FW via WSMan (out of band) but not drivers.

And you still need SNMP alerts, so that's the trick.

But it is probably something for you to poke on a bit more.  If you have an 11/12G you can discover the iDrac via WSMan and have a look.  We probably have some whitepapers on www.delltechcenter.com/ome.

But as I said, will pass along.

Cheers,

Rob

3 Posts

We need SNMPv# for both alerts and discovery.

I know that WSMan is also available but I thought that there was a certain level of functionality lost when going that route, do you know if this is true?

2 Posts

June 5th, 2014 09:00

Another year has gone by and version 7.4 is out. Has SNMPv3 been assed yet or is there an official statement as to if it will ever be included?

2.8K Posts

June 5th, 2014 09:00

Hi and thanks for the post.  (BTW, I'm not the official OMSA or v3 spokesman, but just a few thoughts...)

I don't think the Microsoft Server OS SNMP agent supports v3.  So that might be part of the challenge.  I suppose some alternative SNMP agent would need to be used for v3 (for OMSA, in-band purposes).

The iDrac supports v3 for 'gets', but not for alerts.  But it looks like for gets (discovery) OME has been more focused on WSMan as the secure protocol for discovery of the iDrac.  But that still leaves v3 alerts as a requirement at least (for OME anyway).

At any rate, I'm sending your post along to the product folks to review and I'll let you know if I get any updates on the roadmap that I can share.

Regards,

Rob

2 Posts

June 5th, 2014 12:00

I'm having a little bit of an issue understanding the capability matrix, can the WSMan send some sort of a trap to the OME server or a KACE appliance for notification? If so, I think we can probably go that direction. Thanks for your quick reply, it's greatly appreciated. -Rob

19 Posts

October 7th, 2015 09:00

ANOTHER year has passed and still no SNMPv3 support.

Older SNMP protocols are considered insecure but Dell still relies on this; this is disappointing, and means I can't use many of the services of OpenManage.

No Events found!