Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2017 23:00

OpenManage Enterprise

OpenManage Enterprise is the next generation OpenManage Essentials.  It simplifies, centralizes and automates the full span of server lifecycle management activities – discovery, configuration, deployment, updates, and remediation – within a single console that unifies management of tower, rack and modular platforms.  

OpenManage Enterprise assists in standardizing and supporting your IT management policies and practices.

Now, you can download the software here.

2.8K Posts

December 13th, 2017 10:00

Hi Rob, thanks for the post.

Can you elaborate on your issue and i'll see if I can help?

Thanks,

Rob

90 Posts

See my previous post: xml file is missing from the VHD archive so we can't import the virtual machine in Hyper-V Manager.

2.8K Posts

Right sorry...

For folks using HyperV.  I think we posted a version compatable with 2016, and not, by default 2012.

You have to do a few more steps for MS 2012.

See if this below helps, I'll be posting a doc with pictures soon, but here is the text.

Rob

--

1. Extract the “openmanage_enterprise_vhd_format.zip” file, and move/copy the enclosed VHD file into the appropriate location on your system where you wish to store the OpenManage Enterprise Virtual Hard Disk.
2. Launch Hyper-V Manager.
3. Go to Action->New->Virtual Machine
4. On the “Specify Name and Location Screen”, choose the VM name and storage location appropriately for your environment.
5. When you get to the “Specify Generation” wizard page, ensure “Generation 1” is selected. OpenManage Enterprise Tech Release does not support Generation 2.
6. When assigning memory, ensure at least 8192 MB is assigned. Dynamic memory can be turned on, but for best performance, it is recommended to leave the option off.
7. On the networking configuration page, it is vital to ensure that the network adapter is connected to a network. OpenManage Enterprise Tech Release will not function properly if it is set to “Not Connected” at the first boot, and will require redeployment if this scenario occurs.
8. On the “Connect Virtual Hard Disk” wizard, page, choose “Use an existing virtual hard disk”, and navigate to the VHD file you copied at the beginning of these steps
9. Complete the wizard
10. Open the settings for the newly created virtual machine

10 Posts

December 14th, 2017 16:00

I have deployed the VMware version of the OpenManage Enterprise Tech Release appliance. I see no way to lock the console appliance.  Please add this capability.

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

December 15th, 2017 07:00

Rob,

I was able to follow user directions and get the virtual machine created and online. However, I am unable to discover any of my Windows servers using Server - HostOS - WIndows or via SNMP. All of my servers are running OMSA. This is the error message:

Running
CJOB4065 : Performing a manatory Action GET_SYSTEM_SUMMARY with profile HYPERV_SERVER of the Device Management operation DISCOVERY Failed.
CJOB4065 : Performing a manatory Action GET_SYSTEM_SUMMARY with profile WIN_SERVER of the Device Management operation DISCOVERY Failed.
Task Failed. Execution has completed
I also noticed that although I've set time zone/time correctly for Eastern Time that any job I run reports the time as 5 hours ahead of the local time on the system.
Robert

2.8K Posts

December 15th, 2017 08:00

Thanks tfruth, I will pass this along to the team for consideration.

By the way, there are some lockout settings in the Application settings part of the console....though I know that's not the feature you are looking for....

Thx!

Rob

2.8K Posts

December 15th, 2017 08:00

Hi Rob,

I saw your other discover post from the other day but for some odd reason I was unable to post to it.

We have some work to do to get these forums fixed up for Enterprise.

Anyway, Enterprise is really more oriented to out of band management.  So the inband OMSA+SNMP discovery is not supported.  There is a bit of inband with SSH or Windows, but it is pretty limited compared with the capabilities you get with WSMan and the iDRAC.  So take a look and see what the differences are and how it works for you.

There is a section in the user guide or online help that talks about setting up the node for Win discovery.  See below if that helps.

Thanks!

Rob

DTC site

en.community.dell.com/.../12404.openmanage-enterprise

in UG look for: Enabling WS-Man in HTTPS mode for discovering Windows or Hyper-V servers

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

December 15th, 2017 09:00

Rob,

Thanks for the info, I'll look at the documentation. Is this product going to replace OpenManage Essentials? It seems like I'm losing a lot of the functionality if that is the case.

Thanks,

Robert

2.8K Posts

December 17th, 2017 07:00

Robert,

We are trying to get a few more 'tech-sheet' type of docs published in early January. 

Yes, it is "at some point" the product that will be the console to replace OM Essentials.  This is the "Tech Release" and we are eager to get feedback on the product especially around features that are especially important to you.  We are currently not feature parity with Essentials and are working on a followup release sometime next year.

So please keep the feedback coming.

Rob

6 Posts

December 17th, 2017 18:00

Deployed onto VMware 6.5. I've got a few of our FC630's in FX2s chassis just for out of band. (currently run OME 2.3)

1) This new GUI is awesome and much nicer than the old OME, so thats awesome

2) I don't know how to setup the file share, so all my hosts now keep failing the configuration task everyday and i'm unable to take a reference compliance template from a server

3) Sending firmware seems to kind of work, but it takes a very long time compared to previously. I've had an update running now for 3 hours to do a single bios update on 5 hosts. There isn't much in the details either.

2.8K Posts

December 18th, 2017 05:00

Hi @ks-ccare thanks for the post.

Thanks for the feedback on the new UI, I'll pass it along.  More refinements to come :)

If you are using config with a 12 or 13G server, you may have to enable SMBv1 in the console Application Settings area.  There might be a note in the release notes on this, but I don't have that handy.

Not sure on the firmware issue.  I wonder if you can pick a single box, make sure the iDRAC log is clear (you can run a racadm job to clear the job queue, or use the Dell Troubleshooting tool) and try to update just one box to see if the setup is all ok.

Thanks!

Rob

1 Rookie

• 

357 Posts

December 18th, 2017 07:00

Please tell whoever does your Youtube videos that they need to TALK during the videos.  No one likes having to read what someone is doing.  Narration isn't that hard but adds tons to the understandability of any instructional video.

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

December 18th, 2017 08:00

Rob,

I like the interface. However, presently with OM Essentials I'm managing 347 file servers, 4 KVM's, 3 Tape Libraries and 3 MD Storage enclosures. Over half of those servers are running Windows and don't have drac connectivity. It appears in reading the documentation that I'm going to have enable ws-man over https on all of those servers to be able to manage them since I can't connect to them via snmp either. I'm also unable to manage the kvm's, my ml6000 tape libraries or my MD storage enclosures. I also don't like that there is no link to omsa like there is in essentials. 

I realize that this is a tech release and that features will be added, hopefully some of my issues will be corrected.

Robert

6 Posts

December 18th, 2017 20:00

Thanks for the fast followup.

1) Setting SMBv1 fixed the problem with complaince jobs and allowed me to take a reference template succesfully on FC630's

2) I've tried cleaning the logs, job queues and doing just one FC630, bios from 2.5.4 to 2.6.0, it is currently at 5 hours and doesn't look like it has even started from the details.

The last job ran for 23 hours and it did update 3 of the 5 blades bios versions successfully, the other 2 doesn't look like it started. Its not like it takes hours to do the update, it just looks like it takes hours to start the update. (It would be good if the messages window had timestamps for each new line so i could confirm)

2.8K Posts

December 19th, 2017 12:00

Thanks @kelemvor33, yep,  I did those just so we'd have something for launch week.  We are in the process of doing some fancier videos, but I wanted to at least get a few out there so you can see the screens.  I think the one's we did for OME had annotations, etc.  So they should improve :)

thx!

Rob

No Events found!