Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 21st, 2015 09:00

OpenManage Essentials Discovery and Inventory issue

Hi All, 

I did the above on a server and now its showing as Unknown (it's actually the the OME server). I want it to monitor itself too.

What could this be?

116 Posts

October 21st, 2015 11:00

Hi Thanks for the post.

Few questions to understand the scenario better.

1. Have you installed OME in dedicated server or VM ?

2. How did you discover OME server? (using in-band SNMP / out-of-band WS-Man)

3. If it is using in-band, do you have OMSA installed on this server?

4. Can you check whether firewall is blocking communication ?

Thanks,

Arun

58 Posts

October 22nd, 2015 04:00

Thanks for replying.

1. Have you installed OME in dedicated server or VM ?

It's a dedicated server

2. How did you discover OME server? (using in-band SNMP / out-of-band WS-Man)

out-of-band WS-Man 
(as servers canot be pinged inernally therefore this is the best option correct? I can ping and communicate with the internal iDRAC IP addresses of all servers from the OEM server. This is why I went for WS-MAN.
FYI Most servers do also have OMSA installed but I take it this wont be used in my sinareo? Please comment..

3. If it is using in-band, do you have OMSA installed on this server?

I am using out-of-band

4. Can you check whether firewall is blocking communication ?

What communication? I can ping all the iDRAC cards what else is needed?

## Sorry i am a novis as just starting with a fresh install of the product and some things just arn't clear on the setup side to me. 

2.8K Posts

October 22nd, 2015 07:00

For #4 he might be referring to the ports (table is in the OME user guide).

WSMAN (Test connectivity through default port 443) .  Also there is a Dell Troubleshooting tool on the OME desktop that has a WSMan test.

Good luck!

Rob

delltechcenter.com/ome

58 Posts

October 22nd, 2015 08:00

Hi,

Is Arun not in yet, He asked me questions above and I gave answers. I am none the wiser!

58 Posts

October 22nd, 2015 08:00

Hi,

Is Arun not in yet?

58 Posts

October 22nd, 2015 09:00

ok....

October 22nd, 2015 09:00

116 Posts

October 23rd, 2015 03:00

Hi MarkC,

Sorry for the delay.

Your approach is correct, since you couldn't ping internal system ips, using out-of-band is the correct way.

if I understand correctly, you are trying to discover OME server's idrac using WS-Man.

1. Can you please check whether the iDRAC has non-expired certificate ? you can test it by lunching idrac URL in browser. <https://idrac-ip>;

2. Use trouble shooting tool which is installed in OME server & perform WS-Man test against the idrac ip.

This will help us figure out the issue.

58 Posts

October 23rd, 2015 04:00

Thank You, I think you hit the issue. I cannot even launch  idrac in URL. I can ping the IP address though.

Is there a known reason why a server cannot connect to it's own internal idrac IP? Say loop back issue etc?

Please help, im stuck!

October 23rd, 2015 05:00

It might be that the iDRAC is unresponsive.

You could try to do a racadm racreset from the command line of the server in question to let the iDRAC reboot it self. 

October 23rd, 2015 06:00

Hi Mark,

you can do it without SNMP alerts from the iDRAC but that way you will only see the state of the server (Okay, Warning, Critical) If you want alert messages to indicate what the issue is you need to configure SNMP

In the iDRAC go the Alert page and enable alerts

Than on the SNMP Traps and Email and configure the IP address of the OME server (not the server iDRAC)

58 Posts

October 23rd, 2015 06:00

That fixed it! I was then able to Inventory... 

You have been very helpful.

Can I ask now that i have servers in OME, Is this all I need for full monitoring of hardware faults or do I need to setup SNMP traps on all servers idrac settings? If yes, which details will need to be shown in their idrac settings to get full features? Please remember they can only communicate with the internal idrac IP address now not server IP Adress

Thanks

Mark

58 Posts

October 23rd, 2015 07:00

Thanks!

1 Is there anyway to test this works now for any hardware faults? 

2 Where does it list the hardware faults in OME e.g for a failed hard drive?

58 Posts

October 23rd, 2015 08:00

Thanks for help I have tested and it works.

No Events found!