Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2017 09:00

Openmanage Essentials not sending critical emails

I have installed Essentials 2.3 and added our servers so that they show up in the "Servers" device group and the clustered servers show up under "HA Clusters".

I set up an Alert action and configured all the options.   The test email sends to me just fine, so the SMTP info must be correct.

Severity is set to Critical.  Categories and Sources are both "All".  Device Groups are "Servers, HA Clusters".   Devices, Date, Time, and Days are all set to "All".

But when I unplug a power cable so that redundancy is lost, I never get an email.   The server in OM Essentials changes its status to Critical, as it should.  But no email.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

August 9th, 2017 10:00

Hi, thanks for the query.

Your configuration looks perfect.

When power supply is pulled out and server's health status changes from normal to critical, what alert do you see for that server logged in OME? You can select the server in device tree and open Alerts tab to check the same.

26 Posts

August 9th, 2017 12:00

I selected that server and then the Alerts tab and nothing at all is displayed.

Under the hardware tab, it shows 3 critical events (Power supply redundancy lost, power input lost, and fan failure for power supply)

But the Alert tab is totally blank.

August 9th, 2017 20:00

Thanks for the information.

Looks like OME did not receive any SNMP alert from the server, and hence, no email.

I would request you to check SNMP alert settings on the server and ensure they reach OME using a test alert.

26 Posts

August 10th, 2017 08:00

Where do I check those settings?

The only thing I have set up on the server is installing Server Administrator and also setting the SNMP settings in the Traps and Security tabs of the SNMP Service.

August 10th, 2017 10:00

On OMSA GUI, setting should be present under System -> Alert Management -> SNMP Traps.

26 Posts

August 10th, 2017 14:00

The SNMP Traps are enabled for all options, with "Informational, Warning, Critical" selected.

Sending a Test SNMP trap seems to not go through.  What could cause that?

26 Posts

August 14th, 2017 13:00

Any more thoughts on where to go from here?

August 15th, 2017 05:00

The test / hardware alert should reach OME. Please check there are no firewall rules blocking those packets. You can also use Troubleshooting tool to verify if the traps are reaching OME server / VM.

26 Posts

August 15th, 2017 14:00

That was it.  I had checked the firewall on the other hosts, but not on the OME box.

Looks like they are coming through now.  Thanks!

August 15th, 2017 22:00

Good to know your problem got resolved.

No Events found!