Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2012 11:00

PowerVault MD3200i showing as unknown

Hey all.

I have a firewall between my Open Manage Essentials server and where the network devices are.  I am trying to discover and inventory a PowerVault MD3200i device.  I have gone into the device settings and set the IP of my OME server and the community string and the test works.  However my discover/inventory in OME is never successful.  I setup the discover with SNMP and the PowerVault array discover.  The Testing tool reports:

PowerVault Modular Disk Arrays Error TCP/IP connection could not be opened

I have a feeling the issue is a missing port in the firewall.  I have opened TCP/UDP 161 and 162, 443 and 80 with no luck.  Any suggestions?

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

August 21st, 2012 12:00

Hi,

Thanks for your post. The user guide for OME lists the protocols and ports information under "Managing Security Settings" section. To isolate the issue to Firewall, can you turn off the firewall and try the discovery/inventory?

Regards

Abhijit

August 22nd, 2012 14:00

I am not able to remove the firewall unfortunately.

2.8K Posts

August 22nd, 2012 20:00

Is the MD the _only_ device you are working with?  Do you have any other network devices or servers you can play with to see if you can get anything discovered and inventoried?

Thx!

Rob

August 23rd, 2012 06:00

No.  I also have a VMware ESXi 5.0 server that is inventoried and discovered just fine through the firewall, everything is showing good on it.  I also have an EqualLogic that I can't get to show up at all.  

7 Technologist

• 

729 Posts

August 23rd, 2012 08:00

If the iSCSI devices (the MD3200i and the EqualLogic Array) are on a separate iSCSI subnet then the one that the Open Manage Server’s is on (and they typically should be) this could account for not seeing the isCSI devices.  For instance, the OME interface is on the Production subnet (say 192.168.1.x) and the iSCSI is on subnet (10.10.10.x) this would account for OME not seeing the storage devices.

OME would need a way to see both devices on the separate subnet.  From the OME server, first test to see if you can ping AND trace route to all of the eth interfaces of both devices (and the group address for the EQL Array).  If any of the interfaces fail the ping/trace route test, than you don’t have the correct routing to the separate iSCSI subnet.  

Likewise you can telnet into the EQL array and ping the OME server interface to see if it can be reached.   The commands are slightly different on the array, since you need to test each eth interface back to the OME Server:

Usage: ping "-I "

(that is a dash “eye”)  The source IP is the ip of each eth interface on the array.

Usage: GrpName>support traceroute "-s [ETH port source IP] [destination IP to traceroute to]"

(ensure you use the “support traceroute” and test all eth ports on the array)

My guess is that you will have failure somewhere, because typically you don’t route the private iSCSI network to you production LAN.

Instead you setup a separate management network, so on the OME you would have an additional Ethernet interface attached to management network, and then configure the iSCSI network devices to use one of their interfaces to bind to the management network too (on the array you manage the connection to the management network in the GUI, not sure how to do it on the MD3200i or if it’s even possible).

Your other option is to have a separate Ethernet interface on the OME server that is directly attached to the iSCSI subnet.

-joe

August 27th, 2012 09:00

So just to clarify, you're saying that my OME server needs to be on the private iSCSI network? That seems kind of pointless in a way.  What about the management network, can it not communicate through the management port of the SANs?  I will test this out this week to verify. But yeah, my OME server is definitely not on the iSCSI network, only the SAN's and one server not running OME are.

7 Technologist

• 

729 Posts

August 27th, 2012 12:00

I guess I missed that you were connected via the management address to the array group.  Yes, SNMP is supported on the management subnet to the array.

Download the MIBs from the EqualLogic Support site:

The MIB files are specific to the installed version of the firmware. To download the MIBs, go to the EqualLogic Support web site, click on Downloads, click on the firmware version you're using, and click on the MIB file set download. If your version is not shown, contact EqualLogic Support to get the correct version, or update to one of the available versions.

Install the MIBs on OME:

You also need to Imported the EqualLogic MIBs into OME, download the OME MIB importer tool located here: en.community.dell.com/.../1989.openmanage-essentials.aspx

To install the MIBs, first install just the eqlgroup.mib file, then the eqlmember.mib file. After those two have been installed, the remaining MIBs will have all the prerequisite information available to them. Install all the remaining MIB files

Ensure you have setup the SNMP community string for the array group:

To enable SNMP trap messages, go to the Group Configuration section of the array web GUI, and select the SNMP tab. In the SNMP Traps block make sure you fill in a community name for the trap, and enter in at least one SNMP trap listener IP address. This address must be for a host with an SNMP trap listener configured and operational.

**NOTE** All SNMP community names on the array must consist only of letters and numbers. Using any other characters, including punctuation, may cause SNMP to not function properly for monitoring ot traps.

To enable SNMP polling, look at the SNMP Access block of the SNMP tab. Ensure that it contains at least one read-only SNMP community name. This is normally "public," but can be anything.  This string, and the group IP address, need to be provided to your SNMP monitoring station.

To retrieve SNMP data, the monitoring tool must know the community name and the group IP address, and should have the EqualLogic PS Array MIB files available

The PS Array uses SNMP version 2c.

August 27th, 2012 15:00

Thanks for the information. I attempted to import the MIB using the utility but when I start with eqlgroup I get the error "Selected MIB refers the following MIB(s): Add EQUALLOGIC-SMI to MIB repository for successful parsing." and this file was not in the download. Any suggestions?  Thanks!

7 Technologist

• 

729 Posts

August 28th, 2012 08:00

Try this order when installing:

eqlsmi.mib (for v4 and above)
eqlgroup.mib
eqlmember.mib
eqlpool.mib (for v3 firmware and above)
Install the rest of the EqualLogic MIBs

-joe

August 28th, 2012 10:00

When I attempt eqlsmi.mib first it tells me "No traps found in the eqlsmi.mib". The firmware version if 5.0.7

7 Technologist

• 

729 Posts

August 28th, 2012 14:00

Ensure that in the Group Manager GUI (for the Group that is to be setup to send traps) is configured properly.  In the Group Manager, select the “Group Configuration> select the SNMP Tab.  In the lower SNMP Trap section, double check that the SNMP trap destination is configured for the IP address of the Trap Listener (the OME server).  Also ensure you have the proper SNMP trap community name configured in both the Array GUI and the OME.

Did you ever test the ping from the array to OME (see above)?  The source IP you would use is the management interface IP you setup.

Double check the MIBs version, open any of the eql mibs (eqlgroup.mib for example) with wordpad or VIM (or a acsii text editor of your choice), and verify the firmware version (at the top of the file).

-joe

August 29th, 2012 14:00

I assume the MIBs I downloaded do not need to be loaded on the Equal Logic and just the OM server?

The SNMP is good on both sides, I am using "public" and all lower case. And the target is my OM server.

The OM server can ping and access the web interface of the Equal Logic just fine.

When I do the discovery, it doesn't find anything :(

7 Technologist

• 

729 Posts

August 30th, 2012 12:00

Correct, the MIBs only get installed on the listener (OME).

What about the ping and traceroute test from the array(s) back to the OME server?  Telnet into each array member in your group and ping/traceroute back to the OME server, use the command I listed above (note, if you have more then one array in the group, all members need to have the management network setup, and you need to test all members):

Usage: ping "-I "

(that is a dash “eye”)  The source IP is the IP of the management interface.

Usage: GrpName>support traceroute "-s [ETH port source IP] [destination IP to traceroute to]"

(ensure you use the “support traceroute” and test all eth ports on the array)

In both commands, use the IP address of the ETH interface you setup as the management subnet interface on the array.

Also, in the OME UserGuide, are some troubleshooting steps, did you try all of them yet?

-joe

1 Message

March 28th, 2013 10:00

I'm running into the same problem.  The EQUALLOGIC-SMI file is not included in the MIB's file on the EqualLogic website.  When I run the MIB Import Utility 1.1 and try to parse any of the MIB's it gives me an error:  "Selected MIB refers the following MIB(s):  Add EQUALLOGIC-SMI to MIB repository for successful parsing".

Where can we obtain this file? 

21 Posts

March 29th, 2013 00:00

Hi,

EQUALLOGIC-SMI is the "MIB Name" and can be different from the "file name". This MIB file is "eqlsmi.mib" which "christiebrinker" has tried above.

Please try to add this file in the "MIB Repository" of MIBImport tool. Currently, parsing of a MIB file ("Import MIB" tab) does not add it to the repository.

Once added, try parsing the other MIBs (example: "eqlmember.mib").

Let me know if it does not works.

Brief context:

Q: How MIB name is different from the MIB file name?

A: Example: MIB file is "eqlsmi.mib" and MIB name is the one which you can see in the MIB (opened in the notepad) just before the "DEFINITIONS". MIBImport error messages will show the MIB Name.

No Events found!