Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 28th, 2012 01:00

Servers / Windows Cluster

We have a problem with the discover of the active node in Microsoft cluster:

The discover find the instance, the passive node, but identify the active node with the same name and IP of the Cluster instance

Please show the capture:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/mremoteconfcons2.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59/mremoteconfcons.jpg

The same things exist on 2008 and 2008R2 Cluster.

Another problem: On Windows 2008 Cluster exist a new feature named "Microsoft Failover Cluster Virtual Adapter"

This virtual adapter have an IP like this "169.254.2.51" and is use by the internal engine of the Cluster to maintain UP the cluster in some special case.

The problem is that on somes servers discovered, OME think that this IP is the IP of the physical server.

I let you imagine the result in OME :)

Thanks

33 Posts

February 28th, 2012 01:00

I think i have a part of the solution.

The second node seem to don't be discovered by OME.

If i add manually the server, he appear correctly.

The problem is... why the automatic discovery didn't find him ?

When i see all the cluster, it's seem to miss many many servers...

Maybe a problem or a bug in the automatic discover ?

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

February 28th, 2012 09:00

Thanks for your post.

HA Clusters can be discovered using SNMP only. The discovery task that is intended to discover HA Clusters must have SNMP enabled and the associated credentials must be correct for the target devices.

In order for the members to be discovered, the IP address of each cluster member must be included in the list of addresses to be discovered by the discovery task.

When discovering HA Clusters, the cluster name may replace the name of the active cluster node. To avoid this, do not include the cluster IP address in the discovery range.

If the cluster IP address is the only IP address in the discovery task that is related to the HA Cluster, the currently active cluster node will be discovered and its name will be the same as that of the cluster itself. This results in the cluster name appearing in several places under the All Devices organizational view.

Regards

Abhijit

33 Posts

March 1st, 2012 03:00

Thanks for theses precisions

But the fact is that Cluster IP are in the same range of Physical Server

Another things is that, why somes servers are not discovered ?

I have upgrade with final release, i get more nodes but it appear that somes servers are not discovered.

On the server, the services OME are running, the access code are correct.

Node and cluster are in the same range, so i i discover a range, nodes and cluster name must appear in OME but it's not the case in somes situations (don't undestand why)

33 Posts

March 1st, 2012 05:00

Hello,

We have more than 50 Clusters... and with the lifecycle of the IP, servers it's just... unmanageable

The discovering must be fully automatic... You can't hope that administrators have to maintain this things (ok.. maybe in small and medium company).

But for us, more than 5000 instances (virtuals, physical), 40 chassis ... we expectedly that OME manages the discovery without many rules, exclusions... We don't have time for this, the management of daily is more that enought.

The minimum is that all my physical is discovered, and in this case you seem to said that "no, you need make exclusions to see them"

Thanks for your answer

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

March 1st, 2012 05:00

As I mentioned above, if the cluster IPs are part of discovery range you may have this issue.

If the clusters IPs are in the same range as nodes and you are using that range for discovery, you can try creating a exclude range with just the cluster IPs?  

33 Posts

March 1st, 2012 07:00

Ok i have change the parameter

I let OME rescan and give you a feedback about this

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

March 1st, 2012 07:00

Thanks for your inputs. We'll definitely consider improving this in the next release. Another option you can try which helps with cluster discovery is setting the name resolution to NetBIOS instead of DNS names and running the discovery. You can find the setting under Manage->Discovery and Inventory. It is located under Discovery schedule seen in the left hand pane.

33 Posts

March 5th, 2012 03:00

Hello,

So, the cluster are not dicovered as a node anymore (good point).

But now, many node are detected with their IP adress

Another thing, all Chassis are now detected with their serial number (not their name)

I think it's a consequence to use netbios...

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

March 5th, 2012 06:00

Thanks for your patience.

Your observation is correct. Due to NetBIOS discovery the chassis names are reported as serial numbers. OME is defaulted to use DNS names for name resolution during discovery but since it creates this issue for clusters, we recommend either excluding cluster IP from discovery or use NetBIOS naming.

Regards

Abhijit

33 Posts

December 19th, 2012 04:00

Hello,

It's seem that we don't have any improvement in the new release.

If we add WMI protocol in discovery range, many cluster are discoverd but the node member are false (sometimes cluster group is identify, sometimes a ressources of another group).

Can you confirm that no evolution have been done on this point ?

And Windows server have to only be discovered with SNMP

Thanks

1K Posts

December 23rd, 2012 23:00

Hi,

Apologies for late response.

Do you mean that while doing discovery of cluster you enabled WMI along with SNMP discovery? Because there is no WMI support for cluster discovery, it will make no difference to the discovery. Only SNMP protocol is used to connect to clusters.

But thanks for you input. We will share the same with the appropriate team for consideration in future releases.

21 Posts

February 4th, 2013 13:00

For myself the patch update from 1.1.6063 to 1.1.1 the HA clusters that originally would rename to the VIP DNS name for the active node are now not being able to discovered through OME at all. The Troubleshooting tool although if you query the VIP Name it will bring back the 'real' active node without any issues. Any thoughts on that?

November 18th, 2015 07:00

I'm on the latest version, 2.1.02635 and having the same issue.   What ever node is the active node for that Windows cluster it changes the host name to the Windows cluster name. 

No Events found!