Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2014 08:00

Unable to see Virtual Machines under a Hyper-V Server

Hi, I've just 'discovered' OME. Looks great. However, I'm not seeing any virtual machines listed under my Microsoft Virtualisation Servers. The Hyper-Vs themselves are discovered fine, but the Virtual Machines branch is just empty - the virtual servers hosted on these boxes are shown under 'Unknown'. I've enabled SNMP as per the documentation and WMI on both physical and virtual machines and re-ran the Discovery and Inventory on several occasions without success. Any ideas? Have I missed something obvious. OME Version: 1.3.0.1533 Thanks,

11 Posts

June 30th, 2014 05:00

UK

11 Posts

Thanks. That's really helpful of you. I'll pass the email on.

50 Posts

Where are you based? US? 

July 10th, 2014 03:00

Hi,

I have the same problem,

Since Update OME from 1.2 to 1.3 with HF1006, Virtual Machines on Hyper-V host are not updated, state (Power Off or Power On) not change and new Virtual Machine not appear.

I am French, the hotfix mentioned in this thread does work for me,  if I contact support?

11 Posts

July 10th, 2014 07:00

Hi, After a long call with Dell Support it transpires that you need to discover the hosts and virtual mahcines in separate discovery ranges. I've been advised to discover Hosts with WMI only and VMs with SNMP only. This results in VMs showing up under the hosts in the structure. (Although the VMs still show as Unknown Devices - apparently this is expected behaviour.) Hope this helps.

2.8K Posts

July 10th, 2014 09:00

Thanks for following up on your post.

Yes, we have HF1008.3.1.3 to resolve this particular problem , after installing this patch users can use same range to discover Hosts and Guests. 

Regards,

Rob

11 Posts

July 11th, 2014 01:00

That's interesting. I was told that the hotfix wasn't compatible with 2008. Can you confirm otherwise? It would be much easier not to have to faff around with loads of very targeted and specific discovery ranges.

2.8K Posts

July 11th, 2014 09:00

Hi there,

it is compatible with both 2008 and 12.   You should grab it.

Regards,

Rob

August 11th, 2014 03:00

Hi from Germany,

I have the same problems with OME 1.3.0.1533 (running on Win 2012 R2)

We have several Hyper-V Hosts here, but only the "Windows Server 2012" are shown as "Microsoft Virtualization Servers". The Hyper-V Role on our servers with 2012 R2 is not detected. In addition, none of the virtual machines are shown under the detected Hyper-Vs.

I read that there are two hotfixes (HF1008.1.3 and HF1005.1.3) available. Can you tell me where to download?

Thanks, Street_Rod

August 11th, 2014 05:00

Hello.

I am having similar problems but mine is an ESXI host. I have tried creating a topic but it not showing for the past one hour.Maybe its because the issue is similar but mine is an ESXI host and its not showing any Virtual machine information at all.

I am currently using WS-MAN and SNMP to configure all my servers and my servers are 11G and 12G servers.Some global status are not showing but i can view all the logs of all the servers on OME but none of my Virtual machines are showings. 

2.8K Posts

August 11th, 2014 07:00

Hi there,

The hotfixes mentioned in this thread are only for HyperV.

If you are working with ESXi, you can use WSMan only directly to the in-band IP address.  We have some whitepapers on www.delltechcenter.com/ome that may be useful as well.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Rob

2.8K Posts

August 11th, 2014 07:00

Hi there,

For these particular Hotfixes, you need to call into support and open a ticket.  They can provide the download.

Be sure to grab both.

Thanks,

Rob

August 11th, 2014 08:00

Hi Rob,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am currently using WSMAN and SNMP .i can view the ESXI servers hardware information. However, its not showing any details of the virtual machine installed on it.

I am looking at the alert section on the home page and i can see the message below. That's one of my virtual server but its not showing at all in the inventory.

Its sending alert when the VM is powered off and on also but its just not showing in the inventory

2.8K Posts

August 12th, 2014 15:00

Ok, 

so...

Discover the ESXi host ip address via WSMan and only WSMan.

Discover the guest VM via SNMP and only SNMP.

They should correlate and show as a node under the ESXi host on the device tree if I'm remembering correctly.

On the heartbeat traps, I guess lots of folks disable them from the VMware side since they may find them annoying :)

But if you don't disable, you can create an ignore filter.

At any rate, just because this trap comes in does not mean the inventory page on the Device Tree will be updated real time with the heartbeat state.  This is, after all, an inventory page that runs at a user-specified cycle.  So the alerts may come in more frequently than your inventory poll is run...and this is as it should be.

Hope this helps.

Rob

August 13th, 2014 23:00

Why are these patches ((HF1008.1.3 and HF1005.1.3)) not released for public? Aren`t there any other users who run Hyper-V on 2012 R2?

No Events found!