Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 21st, 2014 01:00

Unknown devices in the Device Tree

Hello

We are running OpenManage Essentials (OME) v2.0.1.2222 in a Windows domain. I have seven PowerEdge R710 servers that are running Citrix Xenserve. I have created A records for their DRACs and have added them to Discovery and Inventory (D&I). DNS is correct with A records and reverse PTR records reporting correctly. The DNS DRAC name was set to the DNS A record for each of the DRACs (which caught me out).

They are being discovered using SNMP and WSMAN. The Dell Troubleshooting Tool (v3.4.2) does not report any errors when querying the DRACs using SNMP & WSMAN by their A records.

After a short time they all appear in the Device tree as the correct DNS A record. Five of them are normal - green tick and reporting correctly. However, two are showing up as unknown - reporting the serial number but not the model.

As I have said, the troubleshooting tool reports everything correctly so I am at a lost as to why two should be unknown. They should all be identical. 

Any advice as to more troubleshooting ? I have deleted them from the device tree and waited for another round of D&I but the result is the same - unknown devices.

Many thank in advance

John

1K Posts

December 23rd, 2014 22:00

With iDRAC6, i will suggest you to take the inband approach of management i.e through OMSA because there is very limited support through iDRAC. With OMSA, you will be able to do most of the things. Yes, installing OMSA on Xen Server is not straight forward as Windows or Linux Server although this there is information on dell support site about this. You will need to to download the supplemental pack from support.dell.com. Check [View:]

2.8K Posts

December 21st, 2014 20:00

Hi John,

I think the user guide has a small mention of Citrix.  Can you confirm you ahve OMSA installed on the Citrix box and select _only_ SNMP in your discovery wizard to discover these Citrix servers.

Thanks,

Rob

delltechcenter.com/ome

1K Posts

December 21st, 2014 21:00

Like Rob mentioned, please check for SNMP and OMSA on Citrix Xen Servers and you mentioned about DRAC returning correct values using Troubleshooting tool. How about the server? Are you getting correct values like OMSA version, OMSS version, RAC version, inventory collector details when you query the server for SNMP using troubleshooting tool? 

55 Posts

December 21st, 2014 23:00

Hello Rob and Pupul

Many thanks for your replies. The servers are not in OME, I only added the DRACs. If all of the DRACs had not reported back correcty I would have looked into adding OMSA to the Xen hosts. Five out of seven DRACs did report back correctly without OMSA

If adding OMSA to the Xen server host is what I have to do, I will do that.

Kind regards

John

55 Posts

December 22nd, 2014 02:00

Hello Rob and Pupul

Thanks for your replies. I have not added any Xen server to OME, only the DRACs. If they had all failed to report then I would have looked into installing OMSA on the Xen client. Only 2 out of 7 failed to report. Hmm

If installing OMSA is the way to go, then I will get it done.

Thanks again.

John

24 Posts

Hi John,

Can you try with increased timeout in discovery wizard ?

By default it is 4 seconds for SNMP and 60 seconds for WSMAN, please try with some increased values.

Hopeful it will work.

Thanks,

Amit

1K Posts

Hi John,

If you have idrac7 or idrac8, you don't need to discover the server. You can manage and monitor them through the iDRAC itself. But, if you have an older generation of server, you will need to manage it through OMSA. Also, when we manage through the RAC, the device will not get classified under Citrix XenServers instead will be classified only under RAC.

If you are not able to discover the two servers, can you check only one protocol i.e WSMAN and check what happens? Also, check the connectivity through WSMAN using  troubleshooting tool.

55 Posts

December 22nd, 2014 03:00

Hello Pupul

Thanks for your continued help with this. The R710s have iDRAC 6 cards. Yes, I see the servers are listed as DRACs and I am happy with this.

I have changed the D&I to WSMAN only and altered timeout and retries with the same result - unknown devices.

I have compared iDRAC firmware/BIOS/ Lifecycle Controller versions and have found that the unknown servers are R710 System Revision I whereas the found ones are System Revision II... and there is my answer. I will need to install OMSA on the System Revision I boxes.

Thanks again.

John

1K Posts

December 22nd, 2014 03:00

We do get some level of out of band support from iDRAC6 also. So, if you want to solve the problem for RAC discovery, we can very well help and try to fix it. Else, installing OMSA and server discovery should solve your problem. 

In the meanwhile you can try to upgrade the firmware on the servers if the system revision is a problem. Were you able to connect to the iDRAC using troubleshooting tool?

55 Posts

December 23rd, 2014 11:00

Hello Pupul

Thanks for your continued interest. Yes, I get a full detailed report from the Troubleshooter from all of the DRACs, whether discovered correctly or not, using WS-MAN.

I have been spending time learning how to get OMSA on a Xen server - it is not a simple task - but I think it will be worth it. Ultimately, I'll have just the servers with no DRACs in OME.

Thanks again.

No Events found!