Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 10th, 2012 08:00

What is the "Microsoft Windows Hardware Agent"? displayed in OME

When I'm looking at certain servers I see under "Software Agent Information" 

What is the Hardware Agent, an how can I find out why it's got a warning status?

2.8K Posts

January 10th, 2012 11:00

Hi Andrew,

Was this OME install migrated from ITA?  Or was it a fresh OME installation?

Thanks,

Rob

8 Posts

January 10th, 2012 12:00

It's a new install.

8 Posts

We're only using WMI for discovery/inventory, no SNMP or IPMI.  As far as I know anyway.

2.8K Posts

So I believe that agent is reported when you use IPMI as one of your discovery protocols.

What protocols have you defined in your disc wizard?  Do you require the use of IPMI?  If not, SNMP only may suffice.  

thanks,

Rob

2.8K Posts

January 10th, 2012 13:00

Ok, I just double checked.  I misspoke.  The MS HW Agent is an add-on from MS which accesses our IPMI stack to provide Cyclops health (same as BMC/DRAC) – available through WMI only.

It looks like you have OMSA 6.1 .  One suggestion is to update to OM 6.5 (current) as I recall some trouble with OMSA and the BMC status some time back.

Rob

8 Posts

January 11th, 2012 12:00

Installed 6.5 last night a rebooted.  Still showing the yellow warning triangle on the MS Hardware Agent.  Any idea what that piece of software is called?  How it can be updated?  Or at least diagnosed?

2.8K Posts

January 11th, 2012 12:00

Andrew,

Review this link.  Maybe it will provide a bit more info.

Thanks,

Rob

technet.microsoft.com/.../cc726977(v=ws.10).aspx

8 Posts

January 12th, 2012 14:00

I went and checked the Microsoft IPMI driver.  The driver itself is reporting that it's operating fine in device manager.  Is there any way to figure out what this thing is reading that OMSA isn't?  Everything else looks fine in OMSA give a green check mark.  I tried removing the driver, which removes the hardware agent from the Agent Status pane, but the driver is reinstalled when the server reboots.

2.8K Posts

January 13th, 2012 08:00

Thanks Andrew for posting these results.  I'll review the thread with the team.  We appreciate the followup.

Rob

8 Posts

January 13th, 2012 08:00

So I finally found a set of non-descript errors in the SEL log.  I checked the BMC firmware and it was 1 rev out of date.  Updated that and the warning went away.  A bit weird though.

No Events found!