Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

April 17th, 2012 03:00

copy-paste from OME?

Is there a specific reason why OME does not support copying any text out of it through the clipboard? (Or is it just that I can't figure out how to do it?).

It would be a really nice feature...

52 Posts

April 17th, 2012 07:00

+1

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

April 17th, 2012 08:00

Hi,

Thanks for your post.

You observation is right. Generic copy paste is not present on all pages of OME. Are you looking for copying any specific information? Most of the grids (reports,inventory,logs etc) have the export functionality which will allow you to copy the data and export it in Excel,CSV or XML. The task status or any error messages should also have the copy results option.

Regards

Abhijit

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

April 17th, 2012 09:00

Thanks for the update Thomas.

I understand that arrow icon is little confusing. We'll surely take a look and see if we can improve it.

Regarding generic copy paste, since the information is copied from the controls, it needs a handler to process and format it to export it in CSV format. We have tried adding it to most of the places where information needs to be exported.

Thanks for your suggestions. We will review it and look at improving this further.

Regards

Abhijit

44 Posts

April 17th, 2012 09:00

Abhijit: Thanks for quick reply!

OK. I see the export arrow now. I think probably an arrow symbol for exporting is not very intuitive, so I didn't think that's what it did.

Even so: In my case it was a specific driver version number from the inventory view I needed. For that purpose exporting the whole page to html and then trying to locate what you where looking for is quite cumbersome.

So: Why not just implement general copy-paste functionality for text-items? it would be a huge benefit.

A related item: It would also be a significant benefit for some of the larger pages (like inventory) to have an on-page search function or (even better) to support browser ctrl-F

Regards

Thomas

2.8K Posts

April 18th, 2012 15:00

Sure will add you to the list :)

And a reminder (since it is not obvious) that you can export to html (using the export icon) and copy paste from that.  But we understand the request.

Thanks folks.

Rob

18 Posts

April 18th, 2012 15:00

Add me to the list interested in copy & paste.  I have 2 customers who are using OME as well and are frustrated that you can't copy an paste.  Right now I need to write down or type into notepad the IP's or host names, Etc. when I need to since I can't copy and paste.  Please add in future release!

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

May 11th, 2012 08:00

To add to Rob's post, if the health status is shown as unknown, it is possible that OME is not able to communicate with OMSA(assuming it is about servers) to query the health information. You can also look at connection status. If it is "off", OME does not have network connectivity with the target or the target is powered off.

Regards

Abhijit

2.8K Posts

Thx, we'll +1 that feature request for you with our marketing team.

And I'll also send over the popup/why item.  For today, you will need to right-click, launch OMSA to get the 'why'.  We use the element managers to provide this detail at the moment.

thx much for taking the time to write...and the good words.

Rob

38 Posts

Bump,   Copy paste and more importantly Ctrl+F functionality.

This isn't related (still searching the forums for it tho) but if a device has health status "unknown", cant you guys put a popup on it (or clickable) that says "why".  There must be some thing returning/not returning etc that makes it think that.

Thanks.  And very nice upgrade from ITAssistant.  ... well except for needing a monster Monitor to see it :-(

No Events found!