Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

US

July 9th, 2014 07:00

update method don't want to be changed (idrac --> OMSA) + other questions

HI,

After my OME installation, the default update method was "idrac".

When try to update some servers, certain update was not able to be pushed via idrac (example : composant "Physical disk" firmware, file "Sas-drive_firmware_5CX8G_WIN32_DE09_A04.EXE")

I I tried to change the default update method to OMSA , and now I can see "prefered update method  : OMSA", but on the list of server sthat need to be updated, the column "update method" stay as "idrac" for each server (sorry I translate, as my OME is in french), and the disk firmware update still say me it will not be applied because it need to be done with OMSA method.

Same thing if I delete my server then record it again. Do you know how to definitively change the update method to OMSA?

The discovery of the method was done by ws-man.

OME version : 1.3.0.1533

Another questions:

1) I have some drac5, is snmp the only way to discover them? I yes I guess there is no possibility to update them with OME?

2) about the email alerts : Is it possible to have en email each time a new component is detected?

is it possible to have an email alert when  new update need to be applied on servers?

is it possible to have an email alert when a new catalog is available from dell?

Thx a lot

2.8K Posts

July 9th, 2014 13:00

Hi and thanks for the questions.

If you would like to change the update method to OMSA then that means you must discover and inventory your servers via SNMP or WMI + OMSA.

If you have iDrac 5 then you should consider discovering the server via SNMP or WMI + OMSA.

iDrac 6/7 can be discovered via WSMan.

For email alerts...we don't have a feature for sending an email when a new component is detected.

We don't have an email when a new catalog is available, but it does update and tell you this from the System Update portal page.

Thanks much,

Rob

July 10th, 2014 07:00

Hi And thanks for your answer.

When you say "WMI + OMSA", which method exactly means OMSA? because in the discovery option, I can see ICMP, SNMP, WMI, WS-MAN, SSh, and IPMI, but not OMSA.

I tried to discover an host with WMI+SNMP (to test. I have put the credential of the idrac).

The host have been found, but the name have changed . Previously it was the correct name I have set on the idrac (in "network" --> dns drac name"), but now it's just "RAC_". Do you know why? (same thing with discovery only with SNMP, and  only with WMI, I had an "unknow" host, certainly because there is no reverse DNS assiciated)

FYI, in Manage->Discovery and Inventory->Discovery Schedule, the name resolution methode is "DNS", but it's the same with "NetBios".

Thus, when I have first discovered this DRAC with only ws-man, some updated was proposed for it (via idrac as I previously mentioned it), but after the discovery with WMI+SNMP, OME don't propose any update.

FYI the host on which I did the test is the following:

dell r620

idrac7 version 1.06.06

LLC 1.0.0.5747

bios 1.1.2

system : redhat 6.3

omsa :

rpm -qa | grep srvadmin
srvadmin-omilcore-7.3.2-4.2.1.el6.x86_64
srvadmin-deng-7.3.2-4.1.1.el6.x86_64
srvadmin-isvc-7.3.2-4.1.3.el6.x86_64
srvadmin-omcommon-7.3.2-4.3.1.el6.x86_64
srvadmin-omacs-7.3.2-4.3.1.el6.x86_64
srvadmin-hapi-7.3.2-4.1.2.el6.x86_64
srvadmin-ominst-7.3.2-4.3.1.el6.x86_64
srvadmin-xmlsup-7.3.2-4.1.1.el6.x86_64
srvadmin-omacore-7.3.2-4.3.1.el6.x86_64

Thx

July 10th, 2014 09:00

I was thinking ; discovering the server with OMSA+WMI need the OS IP or the drac IP?

2.8K Posts

July 10th, 2014 10:00

When I say WMI + OMSA I mean that your discovery range includes the IP address of the server (not iDrac) and that server is a Windows Server and it has OMSA installed.

To confirm OMSA is installed correctly, run the Dell Troubleshooting Tool and direct it to the managed node running OMSA (use the WMI test).  The result set in the tool should show you the Server Administrator version and name space.

Can you tell me what the tool shows you when you run this test?

If it is iDrac5, just discover the IP address of the server OS, not the iDrac.

If it is iDrac 6 or 7, just discover the IP of the iDrac only (via WSMan).

You might break up your discovery ranges if you have different generations of servers in order to make it easier to get them set up.

Rob

July 11th, 2014 08:00

Hi

I have successfully discovered some windows and redhat server.

For windows --> WMI

for redhat --> SNMP

The tutorial present in OME is usefull to help configuring redhat.

Now I can see "OMSA" as update method if I discover the OS IP, and "OMSA or idrac" if I discover the drac IP

And now I will try to discover my drac5 server with SNMP on the OS.

The result of troubleshooting tool (SNMP test):

MIB-II (System Name) myserver
Server Administrator (Version) 7.4.0
Storage Management (Agent Version) 4.4.0
Inventory Collector (Agent Version) 7.4.1 (BLD_266)

Thx

2.8K Posts

July 11th, 2014 13:00

Thanks for the update.

Keep me posted.

The results of your Troubleshooting test look correct and indicate you are set up for successful discovery by OME.

Regards,

Rob

July 16th, 2014 03:00

Hi Rob,

I have a last question : do you know what make the link between a server registered by SNMP/OMSA and the related IDRAC?

Currently when I discover an OS IP with OMSA/SNMP, and the related IDRAC IP with ws-man, The server and Idrac appear to be the same compoenent in OME (I can see "update method : OMSA or IDRAC", and there are only 1 item).

But I have one OS which is recorded with its IP (instead of the name of the OS, like the other servers), and the related IDRAC which is recorded with the current name set in the idrac interface.

The SNMP test work correctly  for the OS (same result as above).

Thx

July 16th, 2014 07:00

FYI, I tried with both NetBios and dns name resolution for the discovery.

SNMP configuration is exactly the same as the others servers, same model (r620), last idrac version 1.57.57 andlast bios 2.2.3.

I tried to restart srvadmin and snmpd service, but the pb is still here.

thx

2.8K Posts

July 16th, 2014 16:00

Right, so when you discover both iDrac and in-band OMSA it should correlate to a single device as you indicate.

Do you have proper DNS for both in-band and iDrac?

Are you discovering the iDrac via WSMan?

Is the iDrac in it's own discovery range?

Thanks!

Rob

July 17th, 2014 06:00

Hi,

yes Idrac and in-band both have a dns A record, but no PTR reverse record. And this is the same for all the others servers I have regitsered. I maybe have 50 corectly registered servers, and no one have reverse dns records. Only this one don't want to become a single item.....

Yes, Idrac is registered via ws-man (and in-band via snmp)

I have a range for the drac, and another range for the in-band (and this is the same for all the others in-band/idrac).

this in-band/idrac are part of a discovery group with several others servers (same server model/idrac model), and these others servers are correctly registered.

but do we know what exactly make the relation between a registered idrac, and a registered in-band ?

thx

July 17th, 2014 06:00

the only difference I see with the other servers is that these 2 item (drac and in-band) are up to date (means are in the section of all up 2 date servers), and other have some update needed...

2.8K Posts

July 17th, 2014 20:00

I'm not certain I understand your question fully, but I would try to ensure all f/w versions are up to date.

You might do some tests and try to discover the iDrac IP address only via WSMan and be sure that SNMP is not checked in the discovery wizard.  Perhaps try just one iDrac IP address in the discovery wizard.

Then you can compare with a discovery wizard that includes both server in-band IP and iDrac IP.  You can see there is a difference and how they are correlated into a single device.

Thanks,

Rob

July 18th, 2014 07:00

Hi,

I tried to discover both idrac and in-band using 2 different way:

- idrac IP with only ws-man

- in-band with only snmp

But the result is the same : IDRAC is registered with the name configured on the idrac web interface, and in-band is registred with its IP address.

So I still have 2 different item, the result is the same with only one discovery group with SNMP+wsman selected for the 2 different LAN.

Thx

2.8K Posts

July 21st, 2014 19:00

Ok,

You say the dodgy one has older f/w right?  What version is it?

We may need to get you to open a support ticket to dig into this further.  The only other idea I have is to bring the f/w up to the level of the others to see if that helps.

Rob

July 24th, 2014 07:00

Hi,

yes this servers seems completely up to date as OME don't propose any update.

I have opened a ticket on the support and will let you know.

Thx

No Events found!