Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

2 Posts

February 12th, 2020 02:00

Dell Repository Manager - Cannot create custom Smartbootable ISO

We have a requirement to update a number of R740 and R740xd servers to a consistent firmware level prior to installation of ESXi. We don't have OMEE in the environment at the moment.

I have downloaded the relevant catalog file from the Dell support site for the version of ESXi we are using from this url :

https://www.dell.com/support/article/uk/en/ukbsdt1/sln311042/firmware-catalog-for-dell-customized-vmware-esxi-images?lang=en

I have then created a new repository and used the XML catalog file as the source. I have selected R740 and R740xd as the server models and all operating systems and components.

The repository creates successfully and the components are downloaded but when I try to export the repository to a Smartbootable ISO I get an error message 'Selected repositories/bundles are not valid for this deployment'.

Any idea why I get that error ? I can create a SUU ISO instead successfully, would I be able to use that to update the firmware using the Lifecycle Controller instead ?

If so can I make the SUU ISO with all the components on the catalog, and will the Lifecycle Controller detect the exact components in the system, update those and ignore the rest ?

Many thanks, James

• 

8.4K Posts

February 12th, 2020 06:00

Jim_Co,

What I would suggest is that you instead use the Platform Specific Bootable ISO's to update with, as it would save you alot of time. You can find the ISO's for the models you listed below.

R740 
R740xd

Let me know if this helps.

2 Posts

February 13th, 2020 00:00

Hi Chris

Thanks for the suggestion, however I'm told we need to use the exact firmware levels in the catalog file for the version of ESXi we are using, not necessarily the latest version.

Any idea why I can't create the Smartbootable ISO using the Firmware catalog XML file ?

• 

8.4K Posts

February 17th, 2020 12:00

The ISO should allow you to chose the version to upgrade to.

No Events found!