Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 2nd, 2019 10:00

Repository folder structure

I created a repository from command line. The repository I just created has no subfolders, just a list of firmware. So in /dell_repo/repositoryname I have the catalog and firmware files.

Previously when I made the repository though the GUI, it downloaded all firmware to the repository folder and created unique subfolders underneath. In exploring the folders I have found the same files exist in the root folder. So in /dell_repo/repository1 I have the repository1_catalog.xml, the firmware files, and subfolders with unique numbers that also contain firmware files already in the root directory. (This duplication is making the repository larger than I'd like)

Can anyone give an example as to what a repository is supposed to look like? Does DRM do anything to clean up a repo and make sure it only has one copy of each unique firmware update?

Any guidance is much appreciated!

• 

6.2K Posts

April 3rd, 2019 14:00

I am not seeing a way to manage the store or perform a clean up of the store location via command line. If I find a way I will post it. I did test the store clean up feature. It will delete any files that are not in a repository list. It will also delete all catalog files, so you will need to export the repository again after performing a clean up to recreate the catalog file.

I was testing with a single repository. The only difference with two repository would be the catalog files. The files that are downloaded should be put in the same folder structure regardless of the repository. The folder structure is determined by the catalog, the folders are not procedural. The catalog file is based on the repository name, so you would have two catalog files if you use two repositories.

I tested with three repositories that all contained the same update, I exported all three of them and it only created one file folder and three catalog files.

If you set the store location to the location of your repositories and perform a clean up it should remove unused files.

• 

6.2K Posts

April 2nd, 2019 14:00

Hello

I just tested this with DRM 3.2.0.508. It created the same folder structure whether I performed the action through the GUI or command line. The folder structure you are referring appears to be the files/folders that are created during an export. When you perform an export it will create the folder structure you describe with the GUI. When you choose the option to download it will put the files into the root directory without folders. I suspect this is an issue of choosing the correct option via command line. This is what my command looked like:

C:\Users\Administrator>drm /r=adfvasv:1.00 --deployment-type=export --location=C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Repo

Job Submitted for export

C:\Users\Administrator>

You may be able to locate additional information on the DRM support page.

http://www.dell.com/openmanagemanuals/

Thanks

33 Posts

April 3rd, 2019 07:00

Thanks for the help Daniel. I can confirm I'm running the same commands as you for export. I'll have to play with this more but it sounds like every dup is supposed to be in a subfolder, correct me if I'm wrong.

After creating the repository I tried to run an export to the path I want the firmware updates and catalog to go to. I got this error that says store location doesn’t have enough space to download the files.

I have plenty of room in my directory, so what gives? Is there a staging area in the /var/dell/ folder that this is first downloading the files to before export?

• 

6.2K Posts

April 3rd, 2019 08:00

I'm not sure on the staging. There may be a file limit set somewhere. If you let me know which files are in your repository that are not saving inside folders I can test. I'm not sure if all files are supposed to be in folders. If you try to help me recreate this repository I'll take a look.

33 Posts

April 3rd, 2019 10:00

Here's where I see a firmware file in the root directory

repo1.jpg

Here's where I see the same file under a subfolder....is there a way to check for duplicates and clean up?

repo2.jpg

• 

6.2K Posts

April 3rd, 2019 11:00

There is a clean up feature that deletes files that are not in use by a repository. In the GUI click the drop-down menu at the top>application preferences>store>clean up.

It looks like you are using an old catalog. I don't show K877V in the current catalog. I suggest updating the catalog.

33 Posts

April 3rd, 2019 12:00

Thanks for that info! Is there any way to automate that through the CLI utility? (I don't see any commands but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask :))

Yeah, we are using an old catalog. The goal with DRM is to automate the creation of a repository at certain intervals. So if we know how to create a repository, update, and export firmware to the share through CLI we can just run a playbook every quarter to cut a new repository and admins can point their OMEnterprise instance to that for a baseline. Does that make sense?

Here's a thought: say we have two repos, for example - /dell_repo/testrepo1 and /dell_repo/testrepo2, and they have the exact same firmware inside. Is there 1 or 2 copies of the firmware in our drm/store? I'm a little worried about the space usage of the staging area if it doubles when we add another repository into the mix, seems like it does because of the unique folder IDs.

Thank you for the help Daniel!

No Events found!