Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2009 05:00

05/05/0: Error Allocating I/O Bar for PCI Device

Subsequent to installation of (4) 1GB memory chips in my Dell XPS 400 I have been getting the following error message:  05/05/0: Error Allocating I/O Bar for PCI Device.  This message is duplicated twice each time I boot up.  I have removed and reset the chips and moved them around.  Also, PCI cards have been reset but to no avail.  Both the BIOS and Properties recognize the new memory so I am baffled as to what the problem is.  I would appreciate any guidance that will resolve this issue.

Thank You!

bd4ever

7 Posts

March 10th, 2009 06:00

Thanks for your response!  I will reinstall the old chips to see if I get the error message.  Also, I will check the memory to see if it from crucial or another vendor.  However, I am running late for work and need to bail for now.

bd4ever

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 10th, 2009 06:00

If you install the original Dell chips do you get the error message?   That message usually has to do with hard drive(s).  Since you were inside the PC, check all the cables to make sure they are fully connected (and correctly connected).

Dell's are known to be finicky with memory - some brands will work in one PC and not another.  We recommend Crucial as it is one brand that is guaranteed to work with Dell's.  www.crucial.com

7 Posts

March 10th, 2009 15:00

Finally got back to this issue.  I reinstalled my old memory (4) 512mb chips and the error message is still present - keep in mind the problem started with the new memory chips.  All cables and cards are connected and securely seated.  Memory chips reflect the name of "Elpedia" but again the BIOS and My Computer "Properties" reflect the new memory.  Computer boots very slowly but does finally boot up and seems to function normally at that point.  Seems like I went through this once before when I changed memory in a Dell computer and I found a software fix on the Internet - may have been from Dell or a third party.  It is a Dell Computer issue!  Still need help and a  solution and would appreciate any guidance.

bd4ever

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 10th, 2009 16:00

What I found, doing a google search for that error, seemed to indicate that it was a hard drive or drive controller problem.  That would also go along with it working slow.  Since it started when you replaced the memory, it goes back to something happening on the motherboard or a cable to the motherboard.  But, it's not Dell's fault that you installed memory and it has a problem, many have upgraded their PC's and didn't have problems.  Did you observe static precautions when you were inside the PC?  I wear a "grounding wrist strap" when I work on a PC to minimize potential static electric problems and only handle memory modules or cards by their edges only.

If you didn't reseat all cables, do that (reseat - uplug then plug back in).

As noted, memory seems to be a major issue, as far as what will or won't work in any given Dell.  I have "G Skill" memory in my Dimension E510 and it's working fine but I've seen a post on the old Dell forum from someone that used G Skill and it didn't work correctly on their Dell.  Kingston Value Ram is one brand that is on the general problem list.

Most Dell's have a Diagnostic partition on the hard drive that is accessed by F12, at initial boot up.  Run the diagnostics and see if it shows anything.  

7 Posts

March 10th, 2009 18:00

I Google for two days and did not find anything that led to or resulted in a resolution of the matter.  Harddrives along with all other hardware checkout ok via the Dell Diagnostics which did not show any issues.  If there was a static issue the diagnostics would have confirmed it and the BIOS shows all 4GB of memory to be in place.  It appears that I am faced with using my computer as is.  Thanks for your help!

bd4ever

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 11th, 2009 04:00

I don't usually suggest flashing (updating) the BIOS, but in your case it's worth a try.  However, first thing to do is reset the BIOS (even if nothing has been changed) and see what that does.   But, since the controllers are on the motherboard, gut feeling is that you have a motherboard problem.

In reference to 4 GB of RAM, with a 32 bit Operating System you will not fully use the 4GB, as 32 bit Operating Systems have an addressing limitation.  On my system, with 4GB, I see 3.2GB of RAM.  With Vista and SP1, it will report actually what is installed but can still only use something less than 4GB (usually around 3.2 to 3.3GB).

7 Posts

March 11th, 2009 09:00

I had the latest BIOS Revision installed on my XPS 400 but thought I would flash the memory again.  To my pleasant surprise the problem was resolved.  Your correct on the use of RAM on a 32bit OS - mine is 3.25GB running XP.

Thanks for your support!

bd4ever

1 Message

July 25th, 2010 20:00

I saw the same message after removing and re-seating a PCI sound card in my Dimension 4700.  I think some dust got into the PCI slot, because I took it out again, vacuumed the slot out and re-seated the card again, and the message went away and Windows XP then booted fine (it had blue-screened before).  I did press on the SATA drive connections as well, but they seemed solid, so my guess is the dust caused it.  Just thought I'd post this in case it helps someone else.

No Events found!