scotty0276
1 Copper

19 in 1 media card reader

I just got a new XPS 420 with Vista and the media card reader does not work right. It only shows up in the computer window sometimes, if I restart sometimes it will recognize the drives and show them in the computer window. It will read a SD card sometimes but will not read CF cards at all the light comes on in the front and stays solid when I put a CF card in. I checked the connections, deleted the drives in the device manager and let windows reinstall the reader and it still doesn't work. I couldn't find any updated drivers on the dell site. I even tried a new CF card and that doesn't work. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
26 Replies
masteff
2 Iron

Re: 19 in 1 media card reader

There are fairly new drivers and firmware for the media card reader on the support part of this site.  That fixed it for me.
packerFan07
3 Cadmium

there are definetly new drivers for the 19-1. You can get to the 420's via Dell support center -> drivers....

XPS 420 with Vista Ultimate 64-bit - Q6700 - 8 GB 800 MHZ Mushkin RAM - 2 500 GB Samsung - 425 Watt PSU

Nvidia 8800gt - 24" Gateway LCD

scotty0276
1 Copper

Ok thanks, I found the new driver but it still is doing the same thing. Any other ideas?
masteff
2 Iron

When you checked the connection... did you just make sure it was in place or did you pull it out completely and reseat the connector?  (kinda grasping at ideas but worth trying for sure)
eskymi
4 Germanium

I was going to suggest turning off the computer, opening the side, ground yourself (not that way, you know what I mean...) and then unplugging the cable and plugging it back in.

Maybe it isn't seating properly. I know I did that for my parents machine (well actually my wife did via phone instructions from me,) I know she stated that the cable was plugged in but it worked fine once she replugged it in.

Message Edited by eskymi on 01-08-2008 01:38 PM

2  XPS 420's, Quad 2.4ghz, 8800GT and 9800GTX, 3gigs RAM (Vista Home)

2 Inspiron 1720's, 2.0 and 2.5 gig processors, 2 and 4 gigs RAM, 8400GM and 8600GT cards (Vista Home and Ultimate)

1 E1705, 2.0 processor, 2 gigs RAM 7900GS. (Vista Home)

2 Mini 9's, Black and Cherry Red......(Windows XP) Love The Mini!!!!!

scotty0276
1 Copper

Yes, I have unplugged it an plugged it back in, that was actually one of the first things I tried. I'm starting to think it is something wrong with the drive itself.
eskymi
4 Germanium

If you have done the plug/unplug, uninstall/reinstall, update drivers, etc. Yeah, it sounds like it might end up being the drive.

Is there a Dell Diagnoistic for that. Reboot, hit F12 and try it. I have done the diagnostics on my machines, but I can't recall if the media reader is one of the tests.

2  XPS 420's, Quad 2.4ghz, 8800GT and 9800GTX, 3gigs RAM (Vista Home)

2 Inspiron 1720's, 2.0 and 2.5 gig processors, 2 and 4 gigs RAM, 8400GM and 8600GT cards (Vista Home and Ultimate)

1 E1705, 2.0 processor, 2 gigs RAM 7900GS. (Vista Home)

2 Mini 9's, Black and Cherry Red......(Windows XP) Love The Mini!!!!!

Highlighted
escorial
3 Zinc

Scotty,
I bought a new XPS 720 XP Media Center around Xmas and the 19 in 1 card reader failed right away. Dell tech was ony here and tried a 13 in 1, plus all any any drives for either under the sun and it still work fail. Dells fix was to replace my PC with a guarntee that they problem would be solved with a new unit.

My new PC arrived 1 week ago today, use the card reader 2 and it failed just like the last one. Called Dell again and spent over a  hour on the phone with all the same runaround I got with my original PC. No there sending me a new reader and cable. I can gaurtee that that is not the problem. What ever it is Dell is not owning up to a Flaw in the reader or software. Sice I boought the oirignal machne and then got this one I have been on the phone more with Dell than I have used the PC.

There is a serious flaw somewhere and they will nor fix it. FWIW my kids $5 Ebay extarnal card reader works flawless but my $3600 Dells internal one does not!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dell techs checked out the Spec's on my Transcent 2GB 150x SD card and said well it should work. I ask them WHY NOT and get a runaround.

I would start raising holy heck with them and I certainly would like to hear from others that are having this problem....................

JOHn

@scotty0276 wrote:
I just got a new XPS 420 with Vista and the media card reader does not work right. It only shows up in the computer window sometimes, if I restart sometimes it will recognize the drives and show them in the computer window. It will read a SD card sometimes but will not read CF cards at all the light comes on in the front and stays solid when I put a CF card in. I checked the connections, deleted the drives in the device manager and let windows reinstall the reader and it still doesn't work. I couldn't find any updated drivers on the dell site. I even tried a new CF card and that doesn't work. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.

Message Edited by escorial on 02-01-2008 07:52 AM

JJR,

Inspiron 15R-5520

Win 7 64 Bit

Davet50
6 Indium

i have used my 13 in 1 card reader for over a year and have not had any issues with it..

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003