Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 2nd, 2015 10:00

2.5" drive bracket Dell 3650 (or 3655) Desktop

HI,

I'm looking for the 2.5" drive bracket to put an SSD in the "new inspiron" desktop 3650.  The picture from the service manual is below.  I've called Dell parts, they have been terribly unhelpful so that has been a dead end.  The picture below is from the Inspiron 3650 Service Manual, page 39.  Here is a link to the manuals PDF.  

topics-cdn.dell.com/.../inspiron-3650-desktop_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Any help finding the part number or where to buy it would be greatly appreciated.  

Brad

5 Posts

June 7th, 2016 03:00

I used StarTech 4x SATA Power Splitter Adapter Cable  from Amazon. It is an extension cable so I unplugged the existing SATA power cable from the 3.5 inch drive and plugged it into the end of this extension cable. The first power connector I plugged back into the 3.5 inch drive and then the cable is long enough to reach down to the 2.5 inch cage and provide power down there with the 3rd and 4th connection.It is a bit ugly but it works.

The SATA data cable was just one I had handy - it plugs into the socket on the motherboard and routes up to the drive, the cable path is pretty obvious with the cable tidy clip.

5 Posts

August 29th, 2016 10:00

The SATA data cable is an ordinary one - it plugs into an ordinary SATA socket on the mother board. It is the power cable that is special. Dell pass the power for the drives through their motherboard to a custom power socket. There is a dell part number for the cable, as there is for the drive caddy. I couldn't find anyone in the UK to supply the parts. So, once I had tracked down a caddy on ebay I bought a standard SATA power splitter and plugged one end into the single power lead from the mother board, the one the machine shipped with, and the other connections on the splitter into the existing drive and the new 2.5" SSD.

December 2nd, 2015 20:00

Hi, 

This is the part# for the bracket X9FV3.

Regards

Hema

1 Message

December 2nd, 2015 21:00

I'm also trying to add an SSD and I can't find this part. I did a google search and a search on the dell site for X9FV3 and nothing comes up. How do we order this part?

Thanks,

-Alex

1 Message

December 6th, 2015 16:00

You can order this bracket through a Dell Sales chat. You will also need these cables: Dell Part Number : 949TY and GP2JM !

1.2K Posts

December 6th, 2015 21:00

If I'm not shipping the hardware, I'll mount 2.5" SSDs using  two screws to the side of a drive bay.

I would not do this if I were shipping the unit because it isn't supported well enought, but   The SSDs are super light and easily mount with two screws.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 7th, 2015 09:00

0X9FV3 is the part number.

If you have a 3.5 inch drive you can mount an ssd to R494D and snap it in.

Or use a silverstone adapter.

The Optiplex R494D 2.5 inch caddy fits inside the 3.5 inch blue caddy.

The Silverstone adapter has all the mount points of a standard 3.5" hard drive, and it's only $12 . It holds two 2.5" devices stacked.

So the SSD Adapter caddy is 0R494D

9 Posts

May 23rd, 2016 07:00

If only you could!!!!....terrible service from Dell.....given it has been impossible to get Dell to respond or find anything appropriate on line, I suggest they supply the caddy as standard issue.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 24th, 2016 06:00

R494D is available on Amazon and Ebay etc and the silverstone adapter is 3rd party available from multiple vendors including newegg.  Both work fine in the standard Dell 3.5 inch caddy.

9 Posts

May 27th, 2016 11:00

Doesn't look as though you have read the problem. Getting a 2.5" into a 3.5" drive is childs play.

The task is to get a caddy and connects for a 2.5" ssd into a Bay designated for 2.5" drives.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 27th, 2016 11:00

The 2.5 Caddy is X9FV3.

9 Posts

May 27th, 2016 12:00

Thanks Speedstep

Unfortunately Dell sales (UK)  cannot sell me these as the part number X9VF3, nor those for the cables, do not correlate with a "SKU number"....mad I know!

8 days and counting to sort out!

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 27th, 2016 13:00

Do you have at least one caddy in your unit?

If you do take it out and look for the part number there.

Also the original configuration from the Service tag Support site might list part numbers.

The cables would have a white tag on them with the part number.

9 Posts

May 27th, 2016 14:00

Hi Speedstep

The issue is not the numbers, its within Dell. Part numbers used by tech support are not recognised by the sales teams. It should not be for customers like me to try and find numbers or sort it.

There are lost of complaints on line where Dell do not make any attemot to solve the issue despite the fact a range of desktops have the capacity to have 2 nos 2.5" drivesin this way. That they cannot /do not provide after sales service to support this simple modification says a lot.

5 Posts

June 7th, 2016 02:00

I went round the houses on this too. Eventually being passed off to Dell's 3rd party parts partner in the UK. So far no one has been able to sell me the brackets or cables.

So, I have resorted to a 4 way SATA power extender/splitter, a SATA cable I had kicking around and some string, which I was going to replace with self adhesive heavy duty hook and loop fastener strip. I then came across this item on ebay (search for "Oem For Optiplex Dell 3040 5040 7040 MT 3650 HDD 2.5 SSD Bay Caddy Bracket"). The item arrived from China quickly and appears to fit fine. Just putting this information here for others to find as I have been unable to source the part through Dell official channels in the UK.

No Events found!