Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 2nd, 2015 10:00

2.5" drive bracket Dell 3650 (or 3655) Desktop

HI,

I'm looking for the 2.5" drive bracket to put an SSD in the "new inspiron" desktop 3650.  The picture from the service manual is below.  I've called Dell parts, they have been terribly unhelpful so that has been a dead end.  The picture below is from the Inspiron 3650 Service Manual, page 39.  Here is a link to the manuals PDF.  

topics-cdn.dell.com/.../inspiron-3650-desktop_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Any help finding the part number or where to buy it would be greatly appreciated.  

Brad

9 Posts

June 7th, 2016 03:00

Thanks BGRRCHILL

Interesting to get an indication what cable I should use. Where does the one you suggest plug in? Does it piggy back off the cable to  existing hard drive? 

5 Posts

June 7th, 2016 09:00

I have just seen another listing on ebay for the caddy, from Latvia. With the postage included it is way cheaper than the one I ended up buying from China. It also looks like a real part, rather than a copy. Search for the part number.

11 Posts

June 21st, 2016 16:00

This is late (June), but I just now bought my 3650.  I did not KNOW my 3.5 HDDs wouldn't work.

The bracket is available on eBay.  Go to the computer parts category and put in X9FV3

Be careful, though.  There is only one US vendor and the others will come from China, which will delay the ship date.

Hope this helps.

3 Posts

August 29th, 2016 04:00

Hey gbrchill, I've got a question about the power cable and SATA data cable. I've seen conflicting information about the 3650 using some proprietary connections for the cables. You just used regular cables correct?

3 Posts

August 29th, 2016 14:00

Ok that's good to know about the SATA cable. From your other post, is this the power cable that you used? www.amazon.co.uk/.../B0086OGN9E

Thanks for your response.

5 Posts

August 30th, 2016 02:00

Yes, that looks like it. Other splitter cables would work too. I found that the power cable from the mother board plugged into cable and the first power connector fitted on the 3.5" disk whilst the 3rd and 4th power connector reached down to the 2.5" cradle (I think, it was a while ago and I haven't been back in the case since.

3 Posts

September 1st, 2016 10:00

Thanks for your help. I ordered the bracket from Dell and I'll pick up that power cable and a SATA cable. I appreciate it.

9 Posts

September 1st, 2016 10:00

I wish you luck on getting anywhere with getting the caddy from Dell (or anywhere else for that matter). I went through several months trying to get Dell to deliver on this...they have no intention of making it possible to configure these boxes to suit your own needs. It's not the end of the world - my SSD just sits in the bay. I figured with no moving parts it doesn't really need to be secured.  

3 Posts

September 1st, 2016 11:00

I'm the original poster of this thread.  I was able to get Dell to deliver the right 2.5 caddy which is Dell part X9FV3.

I also got the cables 949TY and GP2JM.  As previously mentioned the power cable is proprietary and the sata cable is not.

I had these delivered in December of 2015 and I have a US shipping address. Don't know the current availability.   Dell did not know which one was the proprietary power cable and which was the sata cable so I had to order both.  Unfortunately, it has been so long now I no longer remember which cable was which and no longer have access to that computer (it was for a client).  

So to summarize

X9FV3- 2.5" CADDY

949TY and GP2JM cable set needed

Brad

9 Posts

September 1st, 2016 12:00

Hi Brad

I appreciate, and glad you were successful, and it was your success that prompted me to try and repeat the process.

I won't copy and paste the email line of ineptitude I experienced, but from the UK the sales teams and technical teams could not resolve this....the part numbers you quote were not identifiable by the sales team, and the technical team could not translate to a reference for the sales team.

Even when the task was escalated and notionally solved, I was twice set the cables, but have never recieved the caddy.

So I repeat, I wish Notachance good luck in his task, and recommend he doesn't hold his/her breath.

Bob  

September 21st, 2016 12:00

I have bought here the 2 missing caddies:

www.ebay.com/.../1382837232

Perfect choice including 2 blue SATA 600 cables!  no doubt anymore

November 30th, 2016 10:00

Howdy y'all,

This thread has been extremely helpful in finding the caddy and cables I'll need to install an SSD to my Inspiron 3650, and I thank you for that, but now I'm doubting whether I'll actually pick an SSD that will work as I'm a little ignorant on the technical side of things and have never dealt with SSDs.

I see in the Inspirion 3650 manual (see pic below) that there a couple "Hard Drive Data Cable Connectors" and also a couple "SATA Drive Connectors (SATAP1/2)", which I assume is power.

So, in regards to all the above information about caddy and cables, does this mean I'll be looking for any 2.5" SATA SSD?  I have one picked out (this one), but I see that it has "SATA III" as its interface, and I wasn't sure if different SATA "versions" are compatible with each other, and whether or not my Inspiron 3650 could use SATA III.  It looks like the vast majority of SSDs for sale are SATA III, so I'm assuming that's the way to go.  I just want to be sure before I throw down the dough.  

TL;DR - Am I looking for a SATAIII SSD for this computer?

Thank you!

P.S. if you have any suggestions on a good SSD, I'm not dead set on that Samsung.  Inexpensive is good, but I don't want a piece of *** either.

3 Posts

November 30th, 2016 11:00

I used a samsung evo drive on this build. It was a great bang for the buck and brought a lot of speed improvement to this dell.  Paying more for faster drives than the samsung evo will generally bring only small improvements.  The next bigger improvement is to use a pci-e SSD (instead of sata), however this board does not support that and of course costs more.  So I think the samsung evo is a good choice.

January 4th, 2017 21:00

SpeedStep, can I install an additional 3.5" HDD in my Dimension 3650?  I already have a 3.5 drive that was the data drive in my previous computer that died and it would be so easy just to move that drive the the new computer and continue my philosophy of programs on C: and data on D: rather than split the current physical drive to C: and D: or put everything on C:

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 5th, 2017 06:00

There is only 1  BAY for 3.5  item #1 and there are 2 bays for 2.5 item #2

You also need y CABLE for power for sata as there is only 1.

The extra data and power cables are NOT included.

PDF

No Events found!