Highlighted
LNS-Front242
1 Nickel

2002 Dell Dimension 4400 - High pitch noise from PSU

Jump to solution

Hello all, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all.  My desktop stopped working all together, after I pulled my camera cable out from one of the front USB ports.  I am now hearing a high pitched noise like it's coming from the power supply, I then grounded myself & opened up the case to take a look and see. Without touching anything inside - I see the green led light on the motherboard is on, and nothing looks fried or burnt & nothing smells that way either - no code lights on either.  The noise is coming from the power supply and dust bunnies have multiplied all over the place inside - LOL.  I unplugged all backside cables and the high pitch noise stops and green led light turns off, so I started up the air compressure and then took the computer outside. I blew all the dust bunnies away making sure I touched nothing inside.  Once done I ground myself again and re-attach all backside cables, I then turn on unit and nothing happens just the high pitched noise & green led light turn on still.  I'm at a loss and hope it's something simple to fix, thanks to all who read my short book & respond!!!       

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Krypton

Re: 2002 Dell Dimension 4400 - High pitch noise from PSU

Jump to solution

The noize is a Bad Switching power supply OR a Shorted out USB port.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

1 Reply
8 Krypton

Re: 2002 Dell Dimension 4400 - High pitch noise from PSU

Jump to solution

The noize is a Bad Switching power supply OR a Shorted out USB port.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro