Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 24th, 2013 08:00

2004 Dimension 3000 - sell it or fix it?

we have a 2004 Dell Dimension 3000 desktop PC.  it runs very slowly and we never quite figured out how to get a good internet connection, or homepage rather.  full of ads and popups and funky toolbars.  is it worth keeping and trying to fix it?  or can i sell it?  any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.  Does Dell buy back old PCs like this?

thanks,

amanda

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 24th, 2013 08:00

From what you describe, your 3000 is infested with malware. The problems are software, not hardware in nature, and therefore they are relatively easy to fix with a 'clean install' of XP. You'll need the XP install discs to do this. Before clean-installing, it's a good idea to boot from the XP disc, enter the Recovery Console, and run the FIXMBR command to remove any malware that might be hooking the Master Boot Record.

It might be possible to clear out the malware through use of an antivirus tool like Kaspersky, as well, and keep your existing XP install.

A more-expensive option is to upgrade to Windows 7, which Newegg frequently offers for $80 after discount code.

3 Posts

January 24th, 2013 09:00

thanks, i will try that and get back with you here.  :)

amanda

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 24th, 2013 10:00

wolfmoon13

Try using the suggestions for speeding up your system here:

http://www.wikihow.com/Speed-up-a-Windows-XP-Computer

Also, download and run the free versions of CCeaner and Malwarebytes from here:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 24th, 2013 11:00

thank you.  how long are desktop PCs supposed to last?

amanda

wolfmoon13

Amanda,

There is no set period of time, basically it's until they become uneconomical to either upgrade/repair/maintain, you can find an article about this here:

I have an L Series desktop with XP that's 13+ years old and it still running fine, but it is very slow, when compared to today's systems, as the motherboard has a socket 370 processor.

Bev.

Edit. The L Series is attached a 24" LCD monitor, that works without any issues.

893 Posts

I can add to the mix, I have still XPS GEN3 3.4GHz with HT from 2004 as well, still running strong WinXP Home SP2, a few hiccups here and there, but unless I decide to get really new PC, this one is my workhorse. Basically you run your PC until some major hardware fail like motherboard, processor or power supply (I have proprietary one, seldom use today). You have to clean your PC using free tools and then you decide. Just another thought - it is better to have 2 PC at home, so if one fails, you can use another one to fix the falling comrade.

3 Posts

amanda

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 24th, 2013 15:00

Usually until either an expensive-to-fix problem occurs or the machine is hopelessly obsolete. The 3000 will run Windows 7 and modern software, so the latter is not yet the case.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 25th, 2013 22:00

Your time has to be worth something.  You can get a much newer dell with windows 7 installed and it will be much faster.

xp systems will be out of support in april 2014.

12 Posts

January 26th, 2013 20:00

A good Rule of thumb for PC life expectancy.   PC  250 per year  Laptop, 500 per year.   Yes that means if you bought a 399 laptop you can expect the thing will be a piece of  before the warrenty expires.

No Events found!