Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

December 30th, 2011 12:00

2320 for Christmas.... problems

I'm hoping someone can possibly tell me if I'm doing something wrong here. I got the lowest priced base model of the 2320 for Christmas (no touch screen or other fancy stuff).  

The computer has a VGA port on the back so I plugged in my 23 inch monitor and set up the display to Extend my desktop. Everything works great until I shut the computer down. When I restart the machine, it goes back to duplicating the displays and I have to go through the whole procedure again to get the displays to Extend. When it asks if I want to "Keep Changes" I click Yes and the desktop extends. Again though, when I shut down and come back to the computer later, once again I have to go through the settings again.

Another odd quirk that I found is that the keyboard that came with the machine stopped allowing me to type in capital letters. All other keys worked except for the Shift and Caps Lock keys. I replaced the wireless keyboard with a Dell branded wired, USB keyboard and it set up fine and worked for a while but a few hours later, once again I was unable to type anything in caps. I tried all the keys: shift on both sides, Caps Lock. Both keyboards work fine when attached to a different model Dell desktop.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. I'm going to put in a tech call but figured I'd check here first to see if this is an issue that others have had as well.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 30th, 2011 15:00

Hi Bleat,

The extended display problem is really a Windows 7 issue. See if this thread from the Windows forums helps.

For the keyboard issue, I think Dell is going to need to address the problem.

2 Posts

December 30th, 2011 17:00

Thank you for taking the time to answer my post. I went to the link you suggested and can't find any duplication of my problem in that thread. I am able to change the settings and extend the monitor just fine and it works during the session. The issue is it doesn't "stick" when I restart the computer even though I click Apply and Keep these Settings when setting up the extended display. When the machine is restarted, it's back to duplicating the screen instead of extending it.

I wouldn't mind this too much but my spouse uses the computer too and is in need of the duplicate screens. Trying to explain to him how to extend the desktop every time he starts up the machine is something I'm really trying to avoid. :)

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 31st, 2011 05:00

Two ideas. First, go to downloads and see if there's a video driver update. If there is, download and install it. I believe this system has an integrated Intel video adapter, so the Intel site might also have a driver update.

Second, the suggestion made on another forum is to lower the resolution and see if the settings stick. This is just for troubleshooting purposes.

No Events found!