MarekMIS
1 Copper

3TB as a third HDD

Jump to solution
Hi, I would like to add new Hard Drive to XPS8700. originally there is one HDD 1TB with Win7, I added one SSD 256 and I have a problem with another disk 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001. In Computer Mngmnt -> Disk Mngmnt I see this HDD as a two volumes: 2048GB and 746.52GB. I can create new volume for this 2048 but I can not do anything with this smaller one? How I can create one new volume (3TB) for this disk or two new volumes (2TB and rest)? PC: DEll XPS 9700, 28gbRAM, Win7,
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
theflash1932
6 Indium

RE: 3TB as a third HDD

Jump to solution

Windows CANNOT use a disk larger than 2TB UNLESS it is a GPT disk, so Windows shows you the 2TB you can use, and the other chunk of space is unusable as an MBR disk. 

In Disk Management, right-click the disk in question, and choose Convert to GPT.  Once you have done this, you should see the entire disk as a single unit of Unallocated Space to partition how you like.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
theflash1932
6 Indium

RE: 3TB as a third HDD

Jump to solution

Windows CANNOT use a disk larger than 2TB UNLESS it is a GPT disk, so Windows shows you the 2TB you can use, and the other chunk of space is unusable as an MBR disk. 

In Disk Management, right-click the disk in question, and choose Convert to GPT.  Once you have done this, you should see the entire disk as a single unit of Unallocated Space to partition how you like.

0 Kudos