Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 22nd, 2014 15:00

4 GB Ram Upgrade problem - OptiPlex 780 Desktop ..

Good day,

Thank you for your services.

I am trying to upgrade my desktop computer model # OptiPlex 780 and it is standard items I dint touched it before, after I did check what is the compatible ram speed, voltage and timing then I bought this model:

KHX1333C9D3B1K2/8G

Its from Kingston - hyper-x blue or you can check the details by the Munificent code mentioned above or visitng this link:

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX1333C9D3B1K2_8G.pdf

The problem:

When I remove the original 2GB Ram and installed this 4GB ram on the first slot, the light # 1 & 3 start to led with sound like buzzing continuing without booting or windows interface.

I tried to:

- Change the slot

- Fix the maximum ram which is 4GB each slot up to 16GB

- Fixed the original ram 2GB in slot 1 then fix the new ram in slot 2 or 3 and 4

- Update the BIOS to version 15A and update all drivers from dell.com

- I make sure that the ram is compatible from the Dell Guide Book on this link:

http://i.dell.com/sites/content/business/solutions/engineering-docs/en/Documents/optiplex-780-tech-guide.pdf

So please help me in this case, this is urgent and I used this computer in my work and main office.

Thank you and regards,

BYQ-

5 Posts

January 18th, 2015 12:00

This is a late replay .. sorry about this .. 

Just for the benefit for you guys .. 

I bought a DDR3-1333 PC3-10600 4x2GB from the cheap good quality company .. TwinMos .. it works fine for me finally.. 

please note that each slot will handle 2 GB maximum .. don't buy other than this specific Ram or you will lose time and money .. even after update the bios to the latest!

Have a good day,

Yousif

8 Posts

January 20th, 2015 04:00

I did read somewhere that they were able to run 16 GB (4 x 4GB) with the A15 BIOS, so I ended up buying 2 x 4GB 10600 sticks, so I will update when they arrive. Thanks for the help!

January 23rd, 2015 13:00

The ram is too slow DDR3 PC3-10600 (1333Mhz) VS DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600Mhz)

Sorry, but I don't believe that is correct.  I also have an Optiplex 780 MT, and I'm reading this straight from the Dell service manual as regards memory specifications:
Memory
Type DDR3 SDRAM (non-ECC memory only)
Speed 1067 MHz
Connectors four
Capacity 1 GB, 2 GB or 4 GB non-ECC
Minimum memory 1 GB
Maximum memory 16 GB

So, if the official service memory calls out 1067 MHz DDR3, there's no way that 1333 MHz DDR3 can be "too slow."
In addition, when I bought my Optiplex 780 MT used, it had 4 2GB sticks in it.  According to CPU-Z, 2 of the sticks are PC3-10700, and the other 2 are actually PC3-8500 - and the machine works just fine with that combination of memory installed.  I know the PC3-8500 is officially "too slow", but it works fine, albeit running slower, I'm sure.

8 Posts

January 28th, 2015 07:00

I bought this RAM, and it does not work in my 780. I do have the A15 BIOS on Win 7 64-bit.. Is there anything I can do to try to make it work? I tried 1 stick in DIMM 1 and got the error beeps. Is it maybe the model of RAM I got that isn't compatible? I do see that it should be able to handle 4x4GB so 16GB total. It's new model RAM that is shorter than the traditional height RAM.

2 of Kingston Value RAM 4GB 1333MHz PC3-10600 DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM SR x8 Desktop Memory (KVR13N9S8/4)

January 28th, 2015 07:00

This is a late replay .. sorry about this .. 

Just for the benefit for you guys .. 

I bought a DDR3-1333 PC3-10600 4x2GB from the cheap good quality company .. TwinMos .. it works fine for me finally.. 

please note that each slot will handle 2 GB maximum .. don't buy other than this specific Ram or you will lose time and money .. even after update the bios to the latest!

Have a good day,

Yousif

Sorry, but this is incorrect.  Each slot will handle up to 4GB memory modules, as confirmed by the official Dell Service Manual for the Optiplex 780.

1 Message

September 15th, 2015 23:00

I had 2, now one only Optiplex 780 one running XP 32 bit and the other running windows 7 64 bit,

I removed the 2 gigs of memory from the XP and put it into the W 7 computer bringing it up to 4 gig but it fail to start up according to the specs on Dells web site they are supposed to be compatible but no worky,

Can anyone help, I have upgrade to windows 10 and it runs well, but runs out of memory very fast and at around 75 to 85 % most of the time but with  U Tube or a movie it stops every couple of minutes and waits till everything catches up. how can I fix, you get nothing from DELL.

8 Posts

September 16th, 2015 05:00

Can you post a pic on here of what RAM you are trying to use in the 780 running Win 10? I went to the Kingston website and found compatible model and then found it on Amazon and bought it and it works great. That was a 4GB stick and then I'm running 3 other 2GB sticks so 10GB total.

Try this?

http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/discontinuedmodels/Default.aspx?DeviceType=2&Mfr=DEL&Line=Optiplex&Model=58386

1 Message

December 2nd, 2015 12:00

Dear Eigervue,

Yes, it did work. I have OptiPlex 380, updated BIOS from A00 to A07. Its working for 1333 Mhz but not for 1600 Mhz I had two 4gb DDR3 one with 1333 Mhz n 2nd with 1600 Mhz..

Regards

Shamail

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 4th, 2015 10:00

Your not correct assertions are inaccurate at best or factually inaccurate at worst. There are more parameters than just speed.

Memory Density, buffering,  Rank,  CAS Latency,  vendor etc all come into play. 1R 2R 4R CANNOT be mixed.  Quad rank ram DOES NOT WORK AT ALL nor do 8 gig modules nor do registered or buffered modules.

Mixing ram from different vendors may or may not work.  Either way its not recommended.

Mixing Ranks and CAS wait states will not work and is prone to errors even if it initially posts.

172 Posts

January 14th, 2016 11:00

I purchased a 4GB x4 set of GSkill Ripjaws Series that they said were compatible with my Optiplex 780, yet these didn't work either. First time ever that GSkill technical support couldn't give me a definitive answer, and I wasn't about to grasp at straws with one RMA after another, my net loss was $30 for my PC to reject the set. $80 for purchase with 3 day shipping, with RMA, $50 and some change back, unfortunately didn't have another PC to install these in. 

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

For now, am running the two 2GB DDR3 1600MHz sticks (PC3-12800) in the PC, along with what is the 2GB Dell stick, as seen in the Speccy snapshot below. 

speccy.piriform.com/.../qMN3OPG3AL4whIUYCl20EN5

And have ordered 4 of the sticks like that that shipped with the PC on eBay, for $36 total, with Dell Stickers on the modules. They're used, but will run an extended test on these & keep the one that I have as a spare. 

Does anyone know of the Dell P/N that the 4GB sticks are? This will help a lot when searching for these on eBay/Amazon, as well as other sites that carries legacy PC components. That P/N is the key to finding the right set. 

If it matters, my Optiplex 780 is the Desktop Edition. 

Cat

172 Posts

January 23rd, 2016 12:00

I forgot to include the link to the GSkill discussion & was unable to edit the post above in regard to the issue, here it is.

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=5675

Hope this of some help!

Cat

172 Posts

January 23rd, 2016 12:00

According to my support inquiry at GSkill & it's documented on their forum, the Dell Optiplex 780 with the Intel Q45 Express Chipset w/ICH10DO will accept only 8GB RAM total & is further documented below on the Intel site.

www.intel.com/.../320665.pdf

One would have to have a DDR2 MB to install 16GB of what would be very expensive RAM, and would still have peak speeds of 12.8GB/sec, versus the 17GB/sec with 8GB DDR3 RAM installed. 

In simple words, the Intel Q45 Express Chipset w/ICH10DO has it's limitations, and Dell nor any OEM can change that. I'm not sure as to whether or not Intel can push a firmware update to make a change to the chipset specs. they'd be the only only ones who can. 

Here's the discussion on the GSkill forum back in 2010 as to the 16GB upgrade issue. If it would work, they'd be delighted to provide DDR3 16GB RAM for the Dell Optiplex 780, it's just not possible. 

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=5675

As an owner of one myself purchased a couple of weeks back, poured two days of research into the issue, after the RMA of a 16GB set of Ripjaws that one of the online chat reps at Newegg. It also took the intervention of Google (via their Trusted Store Protection) to waive the 15% restocking fee, yet counting that I paid $6.99 for 3 day shipping & $10.25 for the return shipping, that's $17.24 out of pocket for attempting an upgrade. 

Finally found 4 of the original 2GB Dell sticks for $9 each on eBay, now the PC runs good, I ran the extended test at boot to stress test the modules to ensure all was OK, and it was. 

While I was awaiting for those sticks to arrive, ran the two 2GB sticks that shipped with my XPS 8700 (PC3-12800U) & they ran good, so by removing these & adding the new sticks, there was no increase in the WEI for RAM when ran (7.3). Leaving me to wonder if purchasing two of those higher speed modules may be a good option, though it would be a $30 one to obtain a pair of the 2GB Samsung M378B5773EB0-CK0 modules. I'm sure that these will clock down some, but never tried to run just these alone, yet I may just to see. 800MHz is faster than the 532MHz shown in my Speccy spec, though I don't know if that would be the final speed w/out testing, may drop to 1333 specs. 

Anyway, I've poured a lot of time into this & am sharing what I've found with the Dell community. 

Cat

January 23rd, 2016 15:00

I have a 780 with the E7500 Intel CPU, Q45 chipset and A15 BIOS and I'm running 12 GB of DDR3 RAM. Two 4 GB and two 2 GB

Yep, catilley I'm afraid you're just wrong on this - your info is old, apparently.  I, too, am running an Optiplex 780 with a Core2 Quad 9550 CPU, the Q45 chipset and 12GB of DDR3 memory - in fact, that's the very machine I'm writing this reply on right now. 

As I posted a year ago on this thread, the official Dell Service Manual for the Optiplex 780 confirms that it will take up to 16MB of DDR3 memory, 4GB per slot.  Here's the link, straight from the Dell site:

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-780_Service%20Manual2_en-us.pdf

8 Posts

January 23rd, 2016 15:00

I have a 780 SFF with the E7500 Intel CPU, Q45 chipset and A15 BIOS and I'm running 12 GB of DDR3 RAM. Two 4 GB and two 2 GB

Kingston KTD-XPS730B/4G

172 Posts

January 24th, 2016 00:00

Then what's the Dell P/N for the 4GB stick that's approved for the model? That alone would assist users in choosing the right set & not having to RMA one set of RAM kits after another. 

No one has provided an answer to this, and I asked the same in another Topic on this forum. Dell have a massive base of P/N's for most any component shipped on most any computer in the last 10-12 years, why not provide that to us to make life simple?

My BIOS is upgraded to the latest, so that's not a factor. Plus Intel hasn't updated the Q45 Express Chipset info on their site to reflect anything in regards to the matter. The only thing I hear is to choose non-ECC RAM modules, some also says these need to be double sided ones. Yet no one is saying 'this is the exact set we need'. If so, wouldn't hesitate to order, if it's a reliable brand with mainly positive reviews, some coming from Optiplex 780 owners to verify. 

I just don't feel that asking for a P/N is too much, if the PC's can handle 16GB RAM, then Dell shipped units with the configuration, as these are professional type units, in which case may require 80% of the RAM or more. Dell could clear this up easily with a P/N alone, then we'd be able to shop for these, which should be plentiful on eBay, as other Dell components are. 

Cat

No Events found!