Jojosepi
1 Copper

435MT + Windows 7 = really random BSOD

Vista64 bit never exhibited such a behavior. 

Only seems to occur every few days, no trend in actions tend to lead to failure.

"CLOCK INTERRUPT WAS NOT RECEIVED ON A SECONDARY PROCESSOR" (tastefully lifted from another thread) is the issue, BSOD instructs to change bios options, as to which, there's none really of any use.

Symptoms start out with a hard lock like stuttering (unresponsive for a few seconds, cursor freeze), hard drive activity picks up a bit, suttering on/off continues over 25 seconds or so, progressively worse, then full lock into BSOD.

Hopefully not as ambigous as some posts, if there's any additional info required or suggestions be made, have at it 🙂

Cheers,

Joe

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ultimadj
1 Copper

Re: 435MT + Windows 7 = really random BSOD

I've been having the exact same issue since I installed win 7 x64 ultimate (also on a 435mt).The problem happens most frequently while gaming.

2 cores appear to be parked whenever this error occurs.

0 Kudos
ultimadj
1 Copper

Update.

I tried removing background services like windows media player network service, turbine (DDO download manager), impulse (gas powered games dl manager), steam (valve game dl manager), bonjour (itunes sync helper), but the crashes still happened while playing my games. These background services do not seem to affect the issue.

I uninstalled the catalyst driver I had obtained for my ATI Radeon 4800 series from the ATI website. When I refreshed my windows experience score after uninstalling the drivers, my gaming and 3d graphics score jumped from 6.0 to 7.3. After several hours of gaming, I haven't seen a crash.  NOTE: I did not install the drivers from the dell support website. I let Windows 7 do its magic and pick the right driver.

Looks good for now! I'll post again in a few days after the fix has time to prove itself.

0 Kudos
ultimadj
1 Copper

Resolving the driver issue allowed me to crank up the graphics settings without hindering my framerate, but alas, the issue persists. I'm going to restore back to Vista x64 and see if the problem occurs there (ie: see if maybe something broke/overheated or if it's just not Win7 compatible).

0 Kudos