Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 28th, 2006 12:00

4550 BIOS - Should I or shouldn't I?

OK, have always been under the impression that BIOS/firmware upgrades should not be taken lightly, and I am rather uncomfortable dealing with them.

I have never updated my Dell 4550 BIOS (maybe once waaaay back under direction of Dell support when I was having issues with my CDRW) - I am still on version A03. The latest update is A08. If i am not experiencing any issues, is there any reason why I should?

After browsing the Dell forums, some folks say that you should update the 4550 BIOS to A08 before updating to SP2 or else you will get the BSOD. Well, I am on A03 and have been running SP2 since it first came out, and have never had an issue thus far (that I am aware of anyway).

Now I am confused. Should I or shouldn't I? I just read that the A07 and A08 updates have problems with firewire cards. The next upgrades I plan to make are a firewire card for a digital video camera and a graphics card upgrade (probably the now lower end Geforce FX 5500 OC AGP).

Should I go to the A06 revision, or just leave my system as it is?  Will I need to update to handle the firewire card?

PK

Dell Dimension 4550
System Service Tag: 1N99921

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

PROCESSOR
2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

MAIN BOARD
Board: Dell Computer Corp.
Bus Clock: 533 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A03 11/12/2002

MEMORY
512 Megabytes Installed Memory
Slot 'DIMM_A' has 256 MB
Slot 'DIMM_B' has 256 MB

DRIVES
HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]
Seagate ST380013A [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 5JVL9H6R, rev 8.01, SMART Status: Healthy
80.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
51.00 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

CONTROLLERS
Standard floppy disk controller
Intel(R) 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller

BUS ADAPTERS
Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD
Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7

DISPLAY
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 [Display adapter]
DELL M780 [Monitor] (15.7"vis, s/n 5322DA6SCZA9, October 1999)

MULTIMEDIA
Creative SB Live! Series (WDM)
Game Port for SB Live! Series

COMMUNICATIONS
BCM V.92 56K Modem
Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
RAS Async Adapter

ANTIVIRUS
avast! antivirus 4.6.763 [VPS 0609-0] Version 4.6.763
Realtime File Scanning On

9.4K Posts

February 28th, 2006 12:00

If your present BIOS is working good and it fully supports any hardware upgrades you may have done then there is no reason to update the BIOS.  Since a BIOS upgrade has a slight element of risk, they shouldn't be done needlessly on a machine out of warranty which I suspect your system is.

As for Service Pack 2, a lot of folks have skipped the BIOS upgrade and found that SP2 installed and worked without any problems.  As you found out it SP2 works as well without the need to update the BIOS.  

As for the future hardware upgrades, I would try the firewire card and video card with your present BIOS version then see how they perform.  In the event of problems you can always update the BIOS then.  As you mentioned with a firewire card only go to version A06.  If you ever decide to install a hard drive larger than 137 gigs then you will definately have to update the BIOS to any version newer than A04.   It was in that version that 48-bit LBA support was added to the BIOS code for large hard drives.

March 4th, 2006 11:00

OK, thats kinda what I was thinking.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" type thing.

Thanks for the info!

PK

8 Posts

March 5th, 2006 20:00

Hi,

I have the exact same question, ( i"ve already posted some questions, search my name if curious ), it seems from reading your thread, I don't really need to update from A02 to A08 before I install SP2. My Dimension is about four years old, and I'm into this because we are finally going to get broadband.

Most people are saying I need to get to A08. My system is super stable and I would hate to think I truly don't need to update the BIOS.

Please don't laugh, but how do I know if I have a firewire card? Is it the same as IEEE ( 1394 )?  I've transfered digital video from my camcorder to the hard drive and I think that's what I used. Is this the "firewire" issue spoken of in the thread?

Any direction or harsh words will be taken as constructive criticism. Thank you in advance for your time and help.

camtap

March 5th, 2006 21:00

Yeah, firewire is the same as IEEE 1394.

I have been running smoothly (other than a hard drive crash, but this was unrelated to SP2 - I assume) with A03 on SP2. As soon as it was released, I ordered the CD and installed.

At least I have not noticed any issues.  If there are "hidden" issues than I am unaware.

PK

March 6th, 2006 01:00

Now, can anyone explain why some 4550 systems require the BIOS upgade before going to SP2 and some do not?

PK

9.4K Posts

March 6th, 2006 10:00

@camtap wrote:

Most people are saying I need to get to A08. My system is super stable and I would hate to think I truly don't need to update the BIOS. 

If your current BIOS is working good and fully supports your hardware then there is no reason to update the BIOS for SP2.  Also check out my reply to your other posting.

March 6th, 2006 11:00

So then the BIOS issues were pretty much unrelated to the actual SP2 update?  Perhaps they only became apparent during or after the SP2 update?

Do you know if my BIOS version supports the hardware upgrades that I plan to make? (IEEE 1394 and the 256 MB GeForce FX 5500 OC AGP)?

Thanks,

Paul

9.4K Posts

March 6th, 2006 11:00

@Allochthonous wrote:
Now, can anyone explain why some 4550 systems require the BIOS upgade before going to SP2 and some do not?

PK

From the folks I have helped..... if their currently installed BIOS was working good and fully supported any hardware changes they didn't need to do the BIOS update for SP2.   If someone did need to update the BIOS for SP2 then I suspect either the BIOS update fixed a problem they were having or the BIOS update added support for a hardware upgrade they made.  

9.4K Posts

March 6th, 2006 12:00

"So then the BIOS issues were pretty much unrelated to the actual SP2 update?  Perhaps they only became apparent during or after the SP2 update?"

At this point I don't recall any specific instances where someone needed to update the BIOS prior to SP2.  If they did then more than likely a BIOS flash was recommended to fix a problem or they upgraded the hardware and were encountering problems.  You may have run across some very early postings where it was recommended the BIOS be updated, but that advice has since changed as time went on.  Back when SP2 was first released it was generally recommended by the manufacturers that the BIOS be updated prior to installing the Service Pack.  That was to insure the system was working good and had the latest firmware installed.  The problem was a lot of Dell owners already had a BIOS that was working good and elected to skip the BIOS update rather than take the risk of the flash going bad.  In a worse case scenario, a bad BIOS flash will require a new motherboard and Dell will only cover that if the machine is still under warranty.  As time past, the owners of various Dell models that elected to not update the BIOS reported back that SP2 worked with their present BIOS version.  If they were going to experience a problem then they would have noticed it right away.

"Do you know if my BIOS version supports the hardware upgrades that I plan to make? (IEEE 1394 and the 256 MB GeForce FX 5500 OC AGP)?"

In reviewing the BIOS history for your model there is nothing specific for the hardware upgrades you are planning.  Version A08 had a minor video related fix, but then again you can't use that version with firewire. I have listed them below for your reference.....

DELL COMPUTER CORPORATION
BIOS RELEASE NOTES
Copyright 2003 Dell Computer Corporation.  All rights reserved.

System:        Dimension D4550
Version:       A08
Release Date:  09/23/2003

The following changes have been made to BIOS rev A07 to create A08:

1. Support 1600x900 LCD screens.
2. Processor microcode updates.
3. Fixed F12 Boot Menu hang if no bootable devices are attached.
4. Update to USB functionality. Fixes system hangs with some USB multi-function
   printers, USB disk keys and USB CD-ROM drives.
5. Fixed issues with some video cards that have a PCI to PCI bridge such as, but
   not limited to the Matrox G200 or G450PCI.
6. Fix issue with WEEKDAYS auto-power-on function

Version:       A07
Release Date:  06/30/2003

The following changes have been made to BIOS rev A06 to create A07:

1. Free up unused portions of E000:0000 to E000:FFFF memory for memory
   mangers to use.
2. Fixed problem where system was hanging with certain add-in card and
   onboard device configurations.

Version:       A06
Release Date:  04/22/2003

The following changes have been made to BIOS rev A05 to create A06:

1. Fixed IDE cable type detection problem which may cause IDE drive failures.
2. Fixed intermittent missing 2nd virtual CPU on HyperThreading processors.
3. Fixed boot problem with the Bonzai USB Mini Disk.
4. Disable USB floppy boot if Diskette A: is set to  "Not Installed".
5. Update support for newer Processors.
6. Added voltage alert message at POST when CMOS battery is removed.

Version:       A05
Release Date:  01/27/2003

The following changes have been made to BIOS rev A04 to create A05:

1. Alter reporting of PCI memory space in ACPI.
2. Fixed possible CMOS corruption when adjusting configuration through OMCI.
3. Prevent corruption of Boot Menu display.
4. Prevent BIOS SETUP defaults when SETUP password is set.
5. Sped up OS boot time when there is no USB floppy.
6. Clarified help messages in Setup.
7. Fixed continuous reboots during S3 resume if memory gets corrupted.
8. Added support for USB Flash memory boot.
9. Added USB Emulation online help for USB NOBOOT option.
10. Fixed possible USB HD failure when USB Floppy present.
11. Sped up USB hub detection by about 1/8 second per hub.
12. Fixed possible hang problem with Adaptec SCSI when no drive is connected
13. Prevent hang on reboot with Zenworks.
14. Updated SMBIOS token for HD ACOUSTIC.
15. Fixed USB keyboard retaining SHIFT Key info on hot-plug.
16. Updated microcode for newer processors.

Version:       A04
Release Date:  01/20/2003

The following changes have been made to BIOS rev A03 to create A04:

1. Added UDMA support for 48-bit LBA hard drives larger than 137GB.

March 7th, 2006 11:00

Thanks! That was exactly the information that I was looking for.  The only issues in those version descriptions that might affect me are some USB issues (some of which are above A06, so nevermind). 

The general concensus on some other BBoards has been to leave it alone if i have not experienced any problems with hardware or software, and I really have not. Unless there is something wrong in the background that is not easily detected or somem minor problem that I have written off as "just Windows" rather than considering the BIOS to be the culprit.

There has only been one person who said to go ahead and do it. He claims that Dell BIOS upgrades/downgrades are as easy and safe as they get.  That may be, but it still scares me (for the reasons you listed above.)

So in summary, IF I feel the need to take the plunge, A06 is has high as I want to go. But I should not at all be worried about not having upgraded before installing SP2?

I take it given that the last update was in 2003, they probably will not release another to fix the firewire issue, will they?

I e-mailed Dell tech support to get their take on the issue (I don't know why I waste my time...but that is another discussion.)  I will post their reply after I receive it.

Thanks a ton Majestic!

PK

March 7th, 2006 12:00

"So in summary, IF I feel the need to take the plunge, A06 is has high as I want to go. But I should not at all be worried about not having upgraded before installing SP2?"

"A06 is the highest you want if you have a firewire card.  If you plan on keeping your system for a while and will eventually replacement the hard drive then you might consider updating the BIOS now before installing SP2.  Since the A06 version includes large hard drive support, you could then justify updating the BIOS for a hardware upgrade and SP2 concerns. "

I don't know if i plan on installing a HD over 137 GB.  I do realize that if I do, I will need to go to A06 BIOS.

What I meant by " But I should not at all be worried about not having upgraded before installing SP2?" is since I have already installed SP2 (a year or so ago) without upgrading the BIOS and have not noticed any obvious issues and since you say that many others have had the same experience, I need not worry about it anymore? (unless of course I decide to install a HD +137GB)

PK

9.4K Posts

March 7th, 2006 12:00

"There has only been one person who said to go ahead and do it. He claims that Dell BIOS upgrades/downgrades are as easy and safe as they get."

Every time you flash the BIOS there is a slight element of risk.  Since Dell solders the BIOS chip to the motherboard rather than socket them and the motherboard lacks a BIOS recovery jumper, resolving a bad BIOS flash is almost impossible.  That's why I recommend a BIOS upgrade shouldn't be done needlessly on a machine out of warranty.  

Of all the Dell models probably the XPS T had the most reliable BIOS upgrades ever offered.  I can only recall on a couple of occasions where a XPS T owner posted here that they had a bad BIOS flash and that was usually the result of something interrupting the upgrade like a power failure.  Otherwise each Dell model has had a bad BIOS flash horror story posted.

"So in summary, IF I feel the need to take the plunge, A06 is has high as I want to go. But I should not at all be worried about not having upgraded before installing SP2?"

A06 is the highest you want if you have a firewire card.  If you plan on keeping your system for a while and will eventually replacement the hard drive then you might consider updating the BIOS now before installing SP2.  Since the A06 version includes large hard drive support, you could then justify updating the BIOS for a hardware upgrade and SP2 concerns.

" take it given that the last update was in 2003, they probably will not release another to fix the firewire issue, will they?"

At this point...... No.  The Dell engineers are done releasing any new updates for your model and have since moved on to the newer systems they still market.  Not too long ago a distant cousin of your system had a similar problem with its A07 & A08 BIOS releases.  The XPS B series had a conflict with the later BIOS versions and a firewire card that would cause the system to reboot continously when the system was powered on.  In the case of the XPS B there was never a fix released and firewire card owners had to stay with the A06 version.

Glad to be of assistance!

9.4K Posts

March 8th, 2006 11:00

"What I meant by "But I should not at all be worried about not having upgraded before installing SP2?" is since I have already installed SP2 (a year or so ago) without upgrading the BIOS and have not noticed any obvious issues and since you say that many others have had the same experience, I need not worry about it anymore? (unless of course I decide to install a HD +137GB)"

You are correct and there is no need to worry then about SP2 with your present BIOS version.  My memory slipped a little bit and I got your discussion mixed up with Camtap's postings in my latest reply to you.   My apologies.

March 8th, 2006 17:00

No problem! Thanks for all of your help. 

I will post Dell's response (which, believe it or not, was actually complete and well thought - like the rep actually read the message!) later.

PK

March 12th, 2006 10:00

FYI, here is the reply I got from Dell.  It's actually the best "first" reply I have received from them in a LOOONG time.  Usually I have to go back and forth a few times before i get an answer that makes sense. Though after I read it again, I notice that he/she did not address the SP2 issue.

Thank you for contacting Hardware Warranty Tech Support.

Paul Kemna, I understand that you need information for the BIOS of your system and you are bit uncomfortable in updating the BIOS of the system.

I wish to inform you that BIOS acts as an interface in between software and hardware component of the system and as there are new technologies and hardware components are coming in the market hence to make system compatible with them Dell released new version of BIOS.

Therefore if user adds any new hardware or software in the system it is always preferable if user updates the BIOS as well. However it does not mean that if he does not update the BIOS then that software or hardware does not work but there might be a slight chance that the new hardware component is not compatible with the BIOS installed in the system.

Also please note that there are no hidden issues as far as your system is concerned

I also wish to inform you that there is a chance that your system BIOS supports the firewire (IEEE 1394) card and a graphic card. So you can definitely give it a shot. However if does not work then I would request you to please update the BIOS.

If your issue is urgent and requires immediate assistance, please utilize our 24 hour phone support at 800-822-8965.

Thank you for contacting Dell Warranty Support.

No Events found!