Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 28th, 2016 02:00

470 Vostro display driver fails to respond

I* have a 470 Vostro MT I5 3450. 16 Gb ddr3, OCZ R7 120 SSD, MSI AMD R7 250 2gdr3 gfx card. constantly getting display driver failed to respond usually preceded by my monitors going checkerboard while doing nothing but watching netflix on one monitor and having the amd over drive and resource monitor open on the other one. i have tried changing the time out limits in reg edit, command lines to give the amd drivers and card more system priority, under clocking, fresh clean installs of win 7 64 pro and win 10 64 pro. passes every hardware and software test that microsoft and dell have. tried everything i can find on every forum. the only thing I have left in my bag is Nvidia. but really?

May 1st, 2016 16:00

thanks for all the responses and help with this issue. much appreciated. so it turns out that although amd drivers are digitally signed they are not digitally signed by microsoft. before installing the drivers I imported the certificates and thought that should do it.  however in device manager the drivers are listed as not digitally signed. windows 7 64 bit will not load drivers that are not digitally signed BY MICROSOFT. AMD drivers are signed by symantic and geotrust. but not microsoft. microsoft says its to protect my operating system and computer. AMD says nothing at all. why would they? it would be like telling everyone running 64 bit windows to go buy an nvidia card. my card wouldn't even post in the pciE slot it was running on a pci usb bridge. now I am running in test mode  with debugging disabled. re installed the AMD crimson drivers and my card is posting PciE 3 . 8x in 64 bit. everything is working great. the best this vostro has run yet. even lets me over clock with no problems. it would be nice if these companies could get over their grudges;. or at least be openly honest about what is causing the issues. gotta run, my Ubuntu download just completed.

15 Posts

May 3rd, 2016 15:00

You need not "import" any certificates before installing any drivers signed by Microsoft WHQL.  Updating those comes by the OS Service Pack(s) and important or critical security patches for the OS (e.g. through Windows Updates).  I suspect this "importing certificates" prior to attempting to install the Catalyst driver is what caused your problem.

You may have used a BETA driver which was not WHQL certified/signed but that should not have stopped you from using it, you just bypass the warning by selecting "Continue Anyway".  The Legacy drivers for older products are often not WHQL certified but still function just fine, as well.  But R7 250 is current with active support, not legacy status, so the latest non-beta Catalyst release should support that card and be fully signed.

No Events found!