spyslayer
1 Nickel

Re: 4700 corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Jump to solution

i have one question, should reload the new SATA drive with the Windows XP SP2 disc from DELL or should i use the new slip-stream XP SP3?

0 Kudos
spyslayer
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

kindly resend the second link, it's the same as the first link. thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Platinum

Jump to solution

i have one question, should reload the new SATA drive with the Windows XP SP2 disc from DELL or should i use the new slip-stream XP SP3?

spyslayer

The XP SP2 reinstallation disc will work fine for reinstalling XP.

After installing XP, you need install the drivers and applications in the following order,
Desktop System Software [if applicable]
Chipset
Video 
Network Interface Card [NIC], aka Ethernet.
Audio
Modem [if required]
Then all other drivers and applications.

Followed by installing the Anti Virus utility, updating the definitions, then all the critical Microsoft updates.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

If you use the slip-streamed XP SP3 CD, you'll save yourself from having to install SP3 separately afterwards.

If you have an internal floppy drive in this system, create a floppy diskette with the SATA drivers on another PC. Then watch for the prompt to install them during the XP installation. It's easy to miss to miss the prompt!

Installing SATA drivers from a floppy diskette is the ONLY way you can install them. And you can't install them afterwards, but you can live without them.  

Then install all the drivers in the exact order Bev listed.

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
spyslayer
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

First of all, I would like to thank ejn63 for guiding me this far. I have successfully installed a new HD with SP3 but when I connect the corrupted old disk, the old drive did not show up as a secondary.. where did I miss it?

by the way, i have lost some of the installation CDs, so where can I find all the necessary drivers and applications to be installed?

the problem now is that I have no internet connection from my ISP provider as I have also lost my internet installation CD.

but I have install the ISP internet program in my laptop. Do u think it's possible to copy the internet programs and install into my 4700 new drive?

0 Kudos
spyslayer
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

thanks Bev & Ron! i m now trying to download the drivers from Dell's page to my laptop and copy them to my new 4700drive. I also found that Dell techsupport listed the installing sequences as follows:

1. Desktop System Software (DSS)

2Chipset -

3.PCMCIA/Smartcard controller

4.Intel Storage -

5.Audio Adapter -

6.Video Adapter -

7.Network Interface Card (NIC) - .

8.Dell Control Point (DCP)

I just want make sure that I install the right drivers in correct sequence.

however, I can't find PCMCIA/Smartcard controller or the intel storage for 4700, is it ok to skip this installation?

And there are 10 video drivers, do I install all of them?

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

You only need to install drivers for the hardware you actually have in your PC. Do you have a PCMCIA/Smartcard. That sounds like something for a laptop.

Go to support.dell.com, click Drivers and Downloads and select the option to use the Service Tag # for the 4700.  That should give you a list of the specific drivers needed for the hardware that Dell installed at the factory. Obviously, if you changed anything (aside from the hard drive), you will need the driver for the replacement hardware rather than for the hardware that Dell installed. Do not install drivers for any hardware that's not installed in your system!

Did you install the SATA drivers from a floppy diskette during the XP SP3 installation? If you didn't install the SATA drivers, you don't need the Intel Matrix Storage Manager application. All that does is show you the status of your SATA drives, but it's not essential for anything. The SATA driver does all the work. Even if you didn't install the SATA drivers, you'll probably never notice the difference, anyway.

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

Spyslayer:

Did you read the warning about using that Microsoft method with OEM (eg, Dell)-supplied Windows XP??

Warning: Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your computer has an OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM installations creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist previously. If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original registry hives.

You will probably have to run a full Repair/Reinstall of XP now. You'll need a Windows XP CD that has the same version (eg, Home, Pro, MCE) and Service Pack (eg, SP2 or SP3) as is installed on your hard drive. You cannot use a CD with a different XP version or different Service Pack than is on the hard drive to run a Repair/Reinstall.

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
spyslayer
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Ron,

i m confused, do u meant I shouldn't have instal my new HD with slip-stream SP3 CD? do i need to Repair/Reinstall of XP on my new HD with the Dell Windows SP2 CD or slip-stream SP3 CD?

i have not update my devices drivers yet. Also, I  managed to find my 4700 manual. It states (pg 48)  that I  need to reinstall drivers with "a yellow circle with a [!]".

under device manager, I see that my 4700: audio controller, and video controller,Ethernet controller with "a yellow circle with a [!]" next to it.

so do i just install these drivers and to skip the rest of drivers installation? y/n?

I apologise for asking such basic questions because this is the first time i m reinstalling XP. thks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
spyslayer
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

i have updated all the necessary driver in sequence for my new HD. And I have now connected the corrupted drive as a secondary. But I am not able to find the corrupted drive anywhere in the system.

What should I do now?

0 Kudos