7 Plutonium

Re: 4700 corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Jump to solution

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse. And you don't have to apologize. Microsoft never makes anything simple or easy!

Since you slip-streamed SP3 into XP on a new CD, you definitely should use that CD to install on the new hard drive.

You have to install the drivers in correct order:
1. Desktop System Software (DSS)

2. Chipset driver

3. Video driver for your specific video card

4. Audio driver for your specific audio card

5. Network driver

6. Any other drivers (eg, printer, mouse, etc)

If you already installed drivers for hardware marked with yellow !, that probably means you didn't install DSS and chipset as the first two drivers. Without those installed, other drivers either won't install or won't work.

If you've already installed DSS and chipset, proceed to install the others in the order listed above. Again, you only need the driver that's specific for each piece of hardware, even if Dell lists a bunch of different drivers for that type of hardware (eg, video card).

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

Did you connect the old hard drive to a port on the motherboard and a second cable to the power supply?

Did you run BIOS setup and make sure the port where the old drive is connected to the mothebard is actually turned on (enabled)?

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
spyslayer
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Did you connect the old hard drive to a port on the motherboard and a second cable to the power supply?

Did you run BIOS setup and make sure the port where the old drive is connected to the mothebard is actually turned on (enabled)?

yes.

yes.

But I am still not able to find the corrupted drive anywhere in the system.

What should I do now?

0 Kudos
spyslayer
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

under BIOS setup, SATA-2

Conroller details:

*Controller = Serial ATA

* Port = SATA-2

drive details:

* Drive ID = Unknown

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

Is the boot hard drive on SATA0 or SATA1?

Try this:

Power off and unplug

Press/hold power button for ~15 sec

Open the case and remove the motherboard battery

Press/hold power button again for ~30 sec

Carefully reseat the data cable to the old drive at both ends (motherboard and drive)

Reinstall the battery (right-side-up!) and reboot with only mouse, monitor and keyboard attached.

If it still doesn't recognize the old hard drive correctly in  BIOS setup, it might be toast...

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

Highlighted
spyslayer
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Ron,

I have found out the issue why  the corrupt drive wasn't detected by the system. The SATA cable i bought was faulty! I have it changed and now I can see my corrupted drive. A thousand thanks for your advice and help! well done ! and keep up the good work!

Stephen

0 Kudos
spyslayer
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

A thousand thanks to all who advice me and help me too! well done ! and keep up the good work!

Stephen

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos