Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

GR

May 9th, 2015 14:00

4K or 5K monitor with XPS 8700

Hello everyone,

Im not very computer savvy so I apologize in advance for that.

I have two Dell XPS 8700 towers and will be purchasing one monitor in the near future to use for some pretty intense photo editing with Photoshop CC. I use a lot of filters and usually work with very large TIFF files.

I was wondering if the 4k and even 5K monitors Dell currently sells are easily used with the XPS 8700. I don't currently have a very powerful graphics card and I understand that the high resolution monitors require a dual connection that many graphics cards don't have.

My main concern is not upgrading my graphics card per se, but whether or not the type of graphics card needed to run either a 4K or 5K screen is compatible with the Dell XPS 8700. I believe the Nvidia GTX 900 series is recommended for the 5K monitor if I remember correctly.

Thanks again for the help as I appreciate your expertise very much!

best to all,

rick 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 11th, 2015 10:00

If you want 4K full screen video you need an X51 with dual Titan-Z video cards.

Alienware Area-51 Gaming Machine - Intel Core i7-5820K 6-cores Overclocked up to 3.8GHz, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 2TB SSD + 18TB HDD, DVD Burner, 2 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Z with 24GB (2x 12GB) GDDR5 - Dual GPU Card, Windows 7 Professional

http://www.amazon.com/Alienware-Area-51-Gaming-Machine-Professional/dp/B00QN0UFLA

1.2K Posts

May 11th, 2015 22:00

I have two Dell XPS 8700 towers and will be purchasing one monitor in the near future to use for some pretty intense photo editing with Photoshop CC. I use a lot of filters and usually work with very large TIFF files.

I was wondering if the 4k and even 5K monitors Dell currently sells are easily used with the XPS 8700. I don't currently have a very powerful graphics card and I understand that the high resolution monitors require a dual connection that many graphics cards don't have.

I'd visit the photoshop community and ask their opinions.

https://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum

Also, you didn't describe your 8700. A core i7 with as much memory as you can afford and very very fast disks, SSDs if you can afford them will do wonders for the processing times. 

Also it sometimes takes more than installing the graphics card, it is the steps to make sure the graphics card is actually doing the graphics work of photoshop. This is where the adobe forums are also very helpful.

You might find some Adobe CC experience here, but you will find a lot there.

good luck.

ps: I didn't answer your 4K vs 5K as I don't have a strong opinion. If anyone wants to send me a 4K and a 5K monitor, I'll be happy to test them :)

But seriously, 5K hasn't really hit mainstream, and there are very few graphics cards that will support this resolution.

There are many cards that support 4K. Not all can do gaming at 4K and some will render photshop better. I believe a single DisplayPort is the best connection to use.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/4k/supported-gpus 

Bottom line, is you are wandering into expensive territories, so becoming more computer savvy will help your wallet and your net result experience.  

No Events found!