Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 24th, 2009 16:00

5100C Network Adapter Not Working

I am helping someone with a 5100C and it appears the on-board network adapter has gone bad. It appears OK in device manager but I can't get it to accept a network address.  It was hit in a storm last night I believe.  I can't add a card because the slots are PCIe (at least I don't think I can).  Is there anyway to test the adapter to make sure that is what the problem is?  Plus can I add a network card to this PC or do I have to go wireless?  Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 24th, 2009 19:00

Slots are PCI-e 16x and PCI-e 1x. I assume the video card is in the 16x slot.

If you have a recent update of IE6 (and probably IE7  or 8), click Tools>Diagnose Network Connection Problems and see what it says. It takes a while so have patience.

You could buy a PCI-e 1x network adaptor card (assuming the 1x slot is empty) but they're not cheap. There's one here as an example, but google around for others.

An alternative might be a PCI-e to PCI adaptor which will allow you to install a low profile PCI network adaptor card, assuming the case can handle the height of the adaptor plus the card, but added to the price of a network card, that's not cheap either.

You might be able to get a replacement motherboard (refurbished or system pull) for less than any of those options.

Ron

12 Posts

August 24th, 2009 20:00

Thanks for the information.  Very, very helpful.  Looks like a wireless adapter is best idea since he has a wireless router.  On-board adapter is shot.

12 Posts

August 26th, 2009 05:00

Here is another solution that I found for XP and it sounds like Vista-32 bit as well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156133

No Events found!