Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 3rd, 2008 05:00

630i Blue screen errors after windows update

Well I have had my system for 3 days and have had to format drive already. All was working great and the puter did a windows update and then about every hour it will go to a blue error screen...sometimes would say something abotu cache manager dumping files or soemthign and then says windows will shut down to protect itself.... then will restart and all ok again....for a while.... sometimes the error will say another type of message..anyway rang dell and the man said I should never do a windows update and should wait for the next service pack !! I thought this was not right as Mircosoft dont put updates on the net to 'fill in their day'. Makes me think that the next service pack will be out in maybe 1 year and then its my problem to sort out... I got a dell alert in the 'Dell Support' icon on the puter to say that I should do these updates as they are important...well I weakend and did the important update and about 30 seconds after update...BINGO blue death screen came up again... I ended up restoring back to previous....

I am on to dell as we speak ..um..type and have been on hold for 55 minutes and counting !!!!

Anway has anyone else had these kind of dramas....apart from this fault I am happy with the system... just need this resolved.....

Dave

July 3rd, 2008 06:00

I have owned many Dells, and I learned three things that almost always correct any issues you may have:

1.  Format the machine as soon as you get it, reinstall Dell's drivers, but use Nvidia (or ATI) reference drivers for video - NOT Dell's.

2.  Never ever allow Windows to update any driver on your machine.

3.  Only allow Windows Update to add Service Packs and security updates, nothing more. 

4 Posts

July 4th, 2008 01:00

I have pretty much the same computer but with XP. I was having the same kinda prblem with blue screens. It also killed my internet. I was on the phone with dell and it turned out it was the nvidia driver. They unistalled it then reinstalled the newest one from support.dell.com and it works great now.
No Events found!