Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 7th, 2008 17:00

64-bit Windows on XPS 420?

I am about to put in an order for an XPS 420.

I have an unopened Vista Ultimate install media at home, that I want to install on my new box. Given that there's the option to get 4GB RAM, I'd want to go with 64-bit. My questions:

- Will reinstalling my own OS void the warranty?

- Will I face significant issues with 64-bit on the XPS 420? (I'm technically capable of troubleshooting generic software issues)

My point is, I want Vista Ultimate on the new machine, but since I already own it, I don't want to have to pay for another activation code.

October 7th, 2008 18:00

I guess I need to be clearer: I want to order the system with Vista Home Premium (as that is the chaepest option), wipe it upon delivery and then install my own 64-bit Vista Ultimate.

650 Posts

The way it was told to me, any modification of the system will void the warranty unless it's something you've ordered directly from Dell.

17 Posts

I would think the easiest thing to do is order the system with Vista Premium, when you get it make sure that everything is running right. Then go out an buy a new hard drive. Take the hard drive you got with the computer out and install the new hard drive with Vista Ultimate 64 bit. If for any reason you need to talk to Dell then you can put your Vista Premium hard drive back in. A 500 gb hard drive is around $70.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

abhishekghosh,

Will reinstalling my own OS void the warranty?
* If that is a retail version of the operating system and you install it, Dell will not provide any operating system or driver support. We would only help you diagnose hardware failures which would still be covered. If you get the Dell 64bit Vista Ultimate, then we would assist with operating system and driver issues.

Will I face significant issues with 64-bit on the XPS 420? (I'm technically capable of troubleshooting generic software issues).
* That is hard to say. We do offer 64bit Vista drivers so that should not be an issue.
Message Edited by DELL-Chris M on 10-07-2008 02:20 PM

799 Posts

October 7th, 2008 19:00

bobsaah wrote:
I would think the easiest thing to do is order the system with Vista Premium, when you get it make sure that everything is running right. Then go out an buy a new hard drive. Take the hard drive you got with the computer out and install the new hard drive with Vista Ultimate 64 bit. If for any reason you need to talk to Dell then you can put your Vista Premium hard drive back in. A 500 gb hard drive is around $70.

Thanks bobsaah, for that suggestion. Since the x64bit version will need to be installed with a new format, as opposed to an upgrade, your suggestion makes quite good sense.

I am running Vista Ultimate x64 with all the Dell needed drivers except for the Nvidia card driver, and the system works well on a single drive.

When trying it on Raid0 however, the OS gets corrupted in a very short period of time.

Hope this helps.

14.4K Posts

October 7th, 2008 20:00

I would definatly second Bodsaah advice.

One thing I would add would be to verify that all your hardware has 64 bit drivers, and all your critical software will run on 64 bit. Most everything will. General rule if it runs on 32 bit it will run on 64 bit. 

64 Bit is Defiantly the best way to go.

705 Posts

October 7th, 2008 20:00

Will I face significant issues with 64-bit on the XPS 420? (I'm technically capable of troubleshooting generic software issues)

I am running 64-bit vista ultimate (oem sent by Dell) on my 420. It runs great.

I have had one software issue where the game ran in 32-bit, but not 64-bit. This game is pretty obscure and several years old. I could probably figure it out (BSODS), but it wasn't worth the time to be totally honest.

I would make the conversion again in a heartbeat

No Events found!