Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2017 15:00

660S Inspiron will power up, no post, no dell logo, just black screen

Hi Dell Community - Any assistance would be most welcome.  Our 660S will only power up, fans running, dvd spins and lights checking for dvd, but no Dell logo, just a black screen.  I have done a Hard reset, I have removed the CMOS battery, replaced it with a new one after leaving it out overnight and powered up, same result, no Dell logo, just black screen.

I have tried F2 and also F12 during power up but can't get to any self diagnostic tools or reset or adjust bios.

Just now, after working on this for 2 days, it gave me a beep code of 5 counts with the power button flashing yellow.  I checked the CMOS battery again and restarted, no beeps, black screen, fans still run, but it powered itself off after roughly a minute and then powered back up right away and same black screen.

Any suggestions are welcome.  Thanks in advance!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 15th, 2017 07:00

5 beeps = Real Time Clock failure
But you have replaced the CMOS battery. Possible motherboard failure. Try this, remove all memory modules and then power on. You should get 2 beeps. Are you using the onboard Intel GPU or an added discrete video card?

December 15th, 2017 08:00

Hi Chris and thanks for the prompt reply.  I removed both RAM DIMMS and got the two beeps you were looking for.

I previously had a video card installed but have pulled it during my earlier troubleshooting yesteday.  I'm just using the integrated graphics now.  I just have keyboard, mouse, dvd and HDD plugged in at the moment.

Thanks

December 15th, 2017 08:00

And yes I had replaced the CMOS battery with a new one.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 15th, 2017 11:00

Have you tested this monitor (and cable) on a different PC or a different monitor (and cable) on this PC?

If you changed from add-in video to onboard video, are you using the same video port on the monitor? If you're using a different video input port on the monitor with onboard video, are you sure the monitor is set up to accept signal via a different port?  

If the monitor has its own On-Screen Display (OSD) that's opened by pressing a button(s) on the monitor, open OSD and confirm that it's set to the correct port for the onboard video signal.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 15th, 2017 15:00

Sounding like Chris is right...motherboard failure.

Bummer...

December 15th, 2017 15:00

Hi Ron - I connected the monitor to another pc and tested my vga and hdmi cables and all are good.  The monitor has a source button and if it doesn't get a signal after a bit, it will cycle through the connections.  I think those pieces are all fine and I am able to self select source based on my cable.

I reinstalled a single RAM, connected with the hdmi and powered up, still black screen, no beeps but it did self turn-off after 45 seconds and turned back on, fans running but still black screen.  backlit keyboard has power but optical mouse is not lighting up.  It continued in this state until I shutoff with 4 second power button.

I'll try VGA, it powers up, fans on, no beeps and black screen.  backlit keyboard has power buy optical mouse is dark.  I powered it down by holding power button for 4 seconds, removed the mouse, then powered up, no difference.

Additionally in past trouble shooting I have disconnected the mounted power supply and hooked up a spare power supply, same results.  I have tested both ram dimms seperately in alternating slots, no difference.  I have disconnected the dvd and HDD to see if I could get Dell logo to come up, no difference.  No beeps codes to try and figure out what is going on.  I'm baffled.

December 15th, 2017 17:00

Thank you both for your time, consideration and assistance.  Have a great Holiday season!

161 Posts

December 16th, 2017 07:00

I would look over the MB to see if there is any visible damage, then Re-seat all connections going to the MB and try one more time.  Sometimes these connections get bad, especially if there were lot's of Power Failures in the area, environmental conditions etc.

No Events found!