Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 30th, 2007 20:00

690 Won't post...

Hello all.

I just put in a new processor into my 690 and it won't post. I have diagnostic lights 2 3 4 blinking green. The machine is running but it will not post. Is this a possible cpu failure? The power button is amber lit and not green and will not go into post mode. I'm running a single intel 2.33 xeon quad core processor in cpu slot 0. There is not a cput in cpu slot 1. Is there a possibility that both processor's need to be in? The darn cpu only goes in one way.

Everything else is disconnected. The only thing inside the system is the memory risers. I actually removed them and installed the ddr2 ecc buffered memory one stick at a time but no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Message Edited by Titon4 on 10-30-2007 05:38 PM

35 Posts

October 31st, 2007 01:00

Up and running. For some reason i moved the processor to cpu slot 1 and it's running. I'll have to wait for the second heatsink and install both at the same time.

December 7th, 2007 16:00

Can you provide the exact motherboard version and Bios that you have please?
There is a sticker on the motherboard that will look something like :

CN-ODT029-13740-67S-00K4

The secound part( ODT029 ) identifies the version. Please post your result as well as processor type used.

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

15 Posts

April 27th, 2008 15:00

Titon....

Are you saying to get your 5410 to boot you essential moved it into the wrong socket ???

Have you now got 2 matching quad cores running ?

I have a 5405 processor that i could not get to boot (only tried it in cpu 0)

My motherboard is the MY171 version so should be quad core capable

35 Posts

April 28th, 2008 09:00

My 690 would not post until i moved the processor into the cpu socket 1. The reason being was the board was bad and cpu socket 0 was dead. Once i got the replacement board both cpu sockets function and i am presently running dual quads in my system.

One thing to remember is to make sure  you have the latest bios in order to recognize the quad cores. Since owning a dell system i've encountered a very tricky system when it comes to the dell product. If i do any changes to the system in most cases i have to remove the board battery to reset it entirely. Once you add the second processor you most assuredly will have to do this or  you may get the "incompatible processor present" warning and the system will not boot until you remove the battery for at least 10 minutes.

No Events found!