VarnFury
1 Copper

730 XPS ShutDowns

Jump to solution

I've gotten the 730 XPS a week or so ago, was running fine the first few days but now it seem to be shutting down when ever i start a Game like Warhammer or Crysis. It's even done it when watching a video online as well when starting up (only twice for starting up.) The Fan's inside sound like their over working themselfs, pushing to a point the whole PC just shut's down.

Any takes on how to fix this? The PC is refrubish, runs 2x Geforce 9800 GX2.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Darrell WV
3 Zinc

Re: 730 XPS ShutDowns

Jump to solution

Good morning MikeFurmedge,

I would personally tell you that I stepped up to MyTechTeam in order to have "someone there who speaks English."

Yes, I do know just how much that costs, but it has been worth every penny, IMHO.  I spent a lot of money on my machine initially, and more on upgrading the RAM, but the MyTechTeam people have been great.  You may find the experience more to your expectations.

Best wishes for you and your system,

Darrell WV

29 Replies
TheRealFireblad
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums emoticon.Yes.title

I suspect it's either an overheating issue, or a lack of power?

What make/model PSU does the system have in it, because a pair of 9800 GX2's alone, are going to need (at a guess) something in the order of 500w - 600w!?

But assuming it's the PSU which was pre-installed in the system, it shouldn't be a lack of power?  [Even] Dell wouldn't fit a PSU which wasn't up to the job emoticon.BigSmile.title

And you mention that the fans are working overtime... which leads me to suspect overheating is the cause emoticon.Idea.title

What to do about it, is difficult?  What is the usual ambient room temperature?

The first thing you should do, is check to make sure there isn't a build-up of dust inside the case, and that there are no obstructions (i.e. cables) preventing airflow through the case?

You could try taking the side panel off, and pointing a desk fan into the interior?  You might want to consider third-party coolers for the cards?

The only other things I can think off for now, is fitting better case fans, +/or maybe cutting a blowhole in the top of the case?

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
Integrated 2MP Webcam
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

VarnFury
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Deffently not a lack of power, this thing holding a 1,000W which is just more then enough for anything.

I did crack the case open yesterday and listen abit seeing i was thinking the problem was with the Graphic card, seeing my old one did it. How wrong i was. The Coolent system is was seem to be running the hardest by the sounds of things. After installing the tool set for the PC i found in the fourms, my pc getting as hot as 190F.

MikeFurmedge
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Sounds like the same kind of problem I've been having - I had an engineer out to swap the cooling system and it was okay for a week but then went again.  Spent a while on the phone jumping through hoops like trying each stick of memory in each slot before they agreed to send out a replacement motherboard so I took (another) day off work to meet the engineer, don't you just love an appointment time of 'between 9am and 5pm'? and they shipped me a faulty motherboard that was DOA. 

I arranged for another engineer to come on Thursday and Dell phoned me back later to confirm that the engineer would be there on Wednesday...I told them that we'd agreed Thursday and they updated their records and confirmed that an engineer would be here on Thursday. 

On Tuesday morning I got a call at work from the engineer who was outside my apartment with a new motherboard...so I told him again that I'd arranged a house-sitter for Thursday and re-scheduled the appointment. 

I'm not really expecting him to arrive as agreed on Thursday and if he does I'm not particularly optimistic about him fixing anything to be honest but in the unlikely event that they do something right I'll let you know if swapping the motherboard sorts my system out.

I hope one day to ring tech support and find someone there who speaks English!

Seriously, if I'd wanted a bag of nails I'd have built the thing myself 😞

Darrell WV
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

Good Morning VarnFury,

My 730 H2C worked great from September until mid December, when it started to shut down randomly during gaming, being online, or watching a Blueray disc or even just a DVD.  I was advised and did run the Dell diagnositics, multiple times, tested each stick of RAM and both video cards.  When you rund the Dell Diagnostic, which does take time, you will recieve a code number.  My first error number was 2000:0123 which means the RAM is not working, but it turned out it was just over heating.  The final code number was 3700:011A which meant the cooling system was malfunctioning.  Follow the directions in Dell Diagnostic, then do a System Tree diagnostic under either Blue Screen or which ever symtom best matches your system stopage.

Once you get an error code number, give that to Dell Tech Support and they will have the problem fixed.  They really do try to help, but you do have to run the diagnostic on your own time.

The repair technician came to my house and fixed the machine in about 30 minutes.  He replaced the processor and cooling system and I was back online about 30 minutes from the time he walked in the door.

Download PCWizard 2008 and run it to check your temps.  Adjust your CPU setting under the nvidia control panel, chassis heading to 100%, uncheck the automatic.  You will have to check the "accept" when you first open the nvidia control panel, found in your program listing under Nvidia Corp.

Hope that this helps and is not too confusing.

Darrell WV

Highlighted
Darrell WV
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

Good morning MikeFurmedge,

I would personally tell you that I stepped up to MyTechTeam in order to have "someone there who speaks English."

Yes, I do know just how much that costs, but it has been worth every penny, IMHO.  I spent a lot of money on my machine initially, and more on upgrading the RAM, but the MyTechTeam people have been great.  You may find the experience more to your expectations.

Best wishes for you and your system,

Darrell WV

MikeFurmedge
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I'll bear that in mind Darrell - don't want to sound like some kind of bigot but problems with understanding each others' accents really doesn't help when trying to explain an awkward technical problem 🙂

MikeFurmedge
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Soo...latest update, swapped the processor, cooling system, gfx card, IO board and motherboard but the machine still won't post and shows error 26 on the motherboard readout.  To be fair I'm as baffled as Dell now...and they've agreed to give me a new system which is good. 

Somehow I don't seem to be able to make Dell understand though that taking six days off work to meet with engineers and couriers and being without my machine for six weeks is inconvenient for me?   I joined a new company this year so I'm back to the starting holiday allowance of 20 days so losing six of those days really hurts!

MikeFurmedge
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Just thought I'd update this thread, every other day I've been called by someone from Dell since this replacement was promised and told to expect an email listing the specifications for confirmation.  Every other day this email does *not* arrive, I did get one email thanking me for accepting the replacement and hoping that my problem had been closed to my satisfaction...closed?  no...I still hadn't been told what my system was being replaced with - the 730 is no longer in production so it's either the 730X or something else and the 730X comes in many flavours and I'd really quite like to know which one it is that I seem to have accepted?  I was then emailed an order number - I've rung several times to clarify...this order number does not exist in Dell's systems (bear in mind I'm still supposedly waiting for an email detailing the replacement system to confirm acceptance...it could be a ZX Spectrum for all I know!).  Now I'm getting neither emails or phone calls...admittedly they weren't much use because they were all just lies to keep me waiting 😞

I used my XPS 730 for software development and graphic design and that was a big chunk of my income - aside from all the inconvenience of losing my original system I'm now losing contracts because I don't have a machine to complete them on.  It's coming up on a month now since my system bought the farm and I honestly have no idea if a replacement anything is even on the way!

I bought this machine from Dell because I didn't want the hassle of building it myself....ah sweet irony.

I'm in the process now of trying to escalate this problem to a formal complaints process - I've been Mr Nice Guy for 4 weeks but it really hasn't gotten me anywhere and I'm actually facing the prospect of having to pursue legal action to either get my money back or get the replacement system that doesn't yet seem to exist.

I'm kind of in a state of despair right now, I didn't know that technical support could actually BE this bad!

MikeFurmedge
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Just had an email detailing the specs through...it's a no-frills XPS 730x , on my original 730 I'd purchased many frills but at this stage I just need my machine back too badly to wait any longer.

One thing I have learned from this process though is that being patient and reasonable is completely the wrong strategy, you have to go absolutely foaming-at-the-mouth *POSTAL* at every step or nothing will get done.  I always advise people to be patient with tech support guys because they're just doing the best they can in the situation...I've had to revise my opinion now though - my advice in the future will be that Tech support have been specifically hired to make YOU the customer as miserable as possible, they will ignore any feedback that you give them on a problem, they will use their response-script to circumvent any trace of common sense and let you down on pretty much a daily basis until you find yourself ringing the PA of Michael Dell himself and offering her your first-born son if only she'll put you through and let you beg Michael to intercede on your behalf.

Safe to say I won't be recommending a Dell to anybody in the immediate future, I'm just worried about what kind of asthmatic gasping bag of nails I'll get this time...hoping it's not like the battle-worn and "foul smelling" 'refurb' laptops that people have been complaining about in the other threads when they got 'new laptop' replacements.