Highlighted
njaneardude
1 Copper

755 Dual Monitor

The classic dual monitor question.  We have 755's with ATI Radeon 2400's.  Just want to make sure that

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&sku=310-5252

is the cable we need.  Really not concerned about the whole one will be digital, one analog thing.

Thanks all and Happy Holidays!

~n

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TheRealFireblad
5 Rhenium

Re: 755 Dual Monitor

First of all... can you please confirm what connections the system/graphics cards have, and what connections the monitors have (HDMI, DVI, VGA)?

In answer to your question... it undoubtedly will work. 

But IMHO, you'd be far better advised buying a DVI - VGA cable, rather than a dongle (which the product in your link appears to be?) emoticon.Idea.title

If you already have a cable which just needs the connection converting, fair enough.  But a direct cable connection is much better than using a dongle.

I can't get a price for it, because the pricing link doesn't work for many of the categories offered emoticon.Confused.title

But cables with every connection currently used by laptops and desktop systems (i.e. HDMI, DVI, VGA) are widely available - from literally hundreds of different sources, for just a few bucks (depending on the length required, obviously).

I don't know where the nearest source to you will be of course, but Ebay is as good a place as any to get them.

I've bought a number of different VGA, DVI and HDMI cables off Ebay myself.

For obvious reasons, I buy Ebay goods from respected, high % feedback/'Power Seller's only, and I've subsequently never had a problem with anything I've bought off Ebay.

But as I've said... there are many retail stores selling both dongles and cables, if you're not happy buying off Ebay - or indeed don't have an Ebay account.

I'd not only advise you to get a cable - rather than a dongle, but to shop around for the best price - whichever of the two you eventually decide to get.

As I found out when I was going through the upgrade options for my XPS M1730, Dell often charge quite a bit more, than the prices at which the very same products are available most anywhere else!

Thankfully, I never did order the 2GB - 4GB RAM upgrade offered by Dell, but bought my own 4GB kit elsewhere instead.

The result is, that I now have a total of 6GB RAM (my own 4GB [Patriot] kit, plus the two original 1GB sticks which were in it), all for £20 cheaper than Dell were asking for the 2GB - 4GB upgrade emoticon.Surprise.title emoticon.Hmm.title

If you'd like advice/links for suitable cables - or even a dongle, confirm the connections you have, and I'm sure I'll be able to find them/link to them for you (even though I'm in the UK) emoticon.Wink.title

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
Integrated 2MP Webcam
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

0 Kudos