Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 30th, 2004 13:00

8100 computer not booting up

WHEN I TURNED ON THE COMPUTER THE XP LOGO COME ON AND THEN IS SAYS IDE WRONG CONFIG PRESS F1 TO REBOOT OR F2 TO SETUP I WENT TO SET UP THE START UP SAID THE C DRIVE AND THE CD DRIVE WAS NOT INSTALLED.I TRIED TO REPLACE THE BIOS AND STILL THE SAME THING. I UPGRADED FROM ME TO XP ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO AND DID NOT UPGRADE THE BIOS THEN ANY IDEAS  SOME ONE TOLD ME TO CHANGE THE BATTERY ON THE MOTHER BOARD MAYBE IT DIED SOMEBODY ELSE SAID IT COULD E THE POWER SUPPLY.HELP!

9.4K Posts

September 30th, 2004 13:00

If the older BIOS was working for 6 months without any problems then there really wasn't a need to upgrade it.  Although BIOS version XP2 is recommended for use with the 8100 model and Windows XP, others have found that the older BIOS versions will work just as well. 

For the problem you are now experiencing the first step would be to check the back of the system to see if the diagnostic light codes are indicating the source of the problem.  If codes give no indication then next step would be to change the motherboard battery.  It is possible the battery is failing and the BIOS is losing some of the configurations settings like the IDE drive information.  During the battery change it would be a good time to clear the NVRAM just in case the information stored in the NVRAM is corrupted and part of the problem you are experiencing.  With NO battery installed and the machine unplugged from the wall press the On button for several seconds to dissipate any remaining charge on the motherboard. Then install the new battery and see if it will boot up normally.  A replacement 3-V CR2032 coin cell battery can be purchased at any computer store or Radio Shack for a couple of dollars.  While you are inside the system it would also be a good time to reseat all the components and connections to insure they are making good contact. If after changing the battery, reseating all connections and clearing the NVRAM the problem continues then try running the Dell Diagnostics on the system.  In the past an F1/F2 boot scenario has been an indication of a failing drive.

No Events found!