Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 1st, 2011 12:00

8400 Power Supply

I need to install a new psu on my dimension 8400.  I have the new psu but need to cut the back panel because the power plug the the old hole for the power plug do not match up and because my new psu has a power switch which the old one did not.  My computer has the original psu in it which was a 350 now I have an Antec Earthwatts 650 watt psu (EA-650) which Dell suport said was compatible.  They did not tell me that I would have to cut the back panel.  How do I cut the back panel so that I can install the new psu?

Kim

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 1st, 2011 13:00

klubbers

You can use either a pair of Aviation Tin Snips, or, my favourite, hand nibbers, similar to THIS

Bev.

5 Posts

January 13th, 2011 07:00

Bev,

Thank you for this response it was very helpful.  I did get a pair of nibblers and have cut the metal to fit the new psu.  Can you give me some help finishing the installation of the new psu?  The old psu is a 350 watt psu with 10 connections (P1 through P10).  The P2 is yellow and black and the P1 is the 20 pin.  The new psu is an Antec Earthwatts 650 watt psu (EA650) with 18 connections (P1 through P18).  P1 is the 20 pin and P2 through P2 and PCI-E are yellow and black.  P6 through P 18 are organge/black/red/yellow.  I can figure out where P1 and P2 go but the connections to the hard drive, 3 1/2 inch floppy and the 2 CD drives I'm not sure how to hook those up.  Can you help?

Thanks

Kim

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 13th, 2011 08:00

Bev,

Thank you for this response it was very helpful.  I did get a pair of nibblers and have cut the metal to fit the new psu.  Can you give me some help finishing the installation of the new psu?  The old psu is a 350 watt psu with 10 connections (P1 through P10).  The P2 is yellow and black and the P1 is the 20 pin.  The new psu is an Antec Earthwatts 650 watt psu (EA650) with 18 connections (P1 through P18).  P1 is the 20 pin and P2 through P2 and PCI-E are yellow and black.  P6 through P 18 are organge/black/red/yellow.  I can figure out where P1 and P2 go but the connections to the hard drive, 3 1/2 inch floppy and the 2 CD drives I'm not sure how to hook those up.  Can you help?

Thanks

Kim

Kim.

The Dimension 8400 has a 24-pin P1 connector, the newer power supplies have a 20+4-pin P1 connector, that is used to connect to the motherboard P1 connector.

All the power connectors and drives are keyed, by having a different shape and size, to avoid making mistakes when connecting them.

You can find a discription of all the Antec AE650 power connectors HERE

The hard drive supports the SATA connectors, the default optical drives support the 4-pin Molex connectors and the floppy is as noted.

Bev.

No Events found!