Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

September 2nd, 2004 18:00

8400 Startup Strangeness

Hi. Last night my family got a new Dell 8400. It is very pretty.

However, sometimes when you push the power button to turn on the computer, all that happens is a strange clicking noise in the CD/DVD drives and the fan turns on. Other times the computer starts like normal.

I'm at work right now, so I don't have the documentation in front of me. Perhaps this is some rad new feature I'm not aware of. Any suggestions as to what it may be? Thanks.

271 Posts

September 2nd, 2004 21:00

However, sometimes when you push the power button to turn on the computer, all that happens is a strange clicking noise in the CD/DVD drives and the fan turns on.

After the above sequence does the computer boot ??? if it does then you might have a bad CD/DVD drive---if it dosent boot up I would consider sending it back, why try to find a real problem with a new computer that you can send back----BE FIRM

September 3rd, 2004 20:00

Ok, like I said I was at work at the time and apparently my memory was hazy. It was not clicking, but the beeping of a diagnostic check. After looking in the manual it seems my memory modules were detected but a failure occurred. In the manual it says to take the modules out and insert one at a time and restart the computer to find the faulty module. The only problem with this is that it doesn't happen at every startup, so I may never know if the module worked or not. Does that make sense?

I'm thinking of giving them a call on this one.

Thank you for your help, Grumper.

115 Posts

September 4th, 2004 06:00

you can't remove one and see if it works.. because it's a dual inline module..they need to be in pairs to work..

September 4th, 2004 19:00

Well, I don't know what I'm doing anyway, so I'm going to give them a call. I'll probably end up sending it back.

10 Posts

September 6th, 2004 22:00

>> you can't remove one and see if it works.. because it's a dual inline module..they need to be in pairs to work..

Yes you can, and the manual also says it is possible. You do lose some speed however. I ran with one 512 for several days waiting for a replacement stick to replace the bad one. The strange thing is that it seemed to run faster with one stick!! Go figure.
No Events found!